USA Gem Razors

I picked up a vintage Gem today at a flea market (some American version of a car boot, NOT a miniscule market for fleas and other tiny insects)

It's open-comb, boxed in a bakelite container and has some form of locking mechanism to allow access to the blade. It's in need of a clean up but it's sturdy as hell - anyone use a Gem?

Hi Neo, I don't have a GEM, however I think it's maybe a similar SE to my Ever Ready. If it is then you've come across a nice wee razor which when cleaned up will be a gr8 item in your rotation. I got my Ever Ready as a part trade & now use it regularly. If you decide you're not going to keep & use it let me know plse as I'd be interested in having it as a main SE in rotation & keeping the Ever Ready (which is a travel) as a back up.

JohnnyO. :geek:

I have a Micromatic on its way across the Atlantic as I write. They are known as one of the more / most aggressive of the SE razors! I have been shaving with SE razors over the last few weeks and am really enjoying them. You need a very light touch but the shave is definitely closer for me than using a DE razor - especially where the hair is tougher. I also get a lot less irritation on my neck with an SE razor. All to do with a stiffer blade I think. SEs are definitely worth a try - and are generally super cheap!

I have a open comb micromatic, put a decent blade in it and you'll get one of the closest shaves ever, be careful thou these boys bite back, get your angle right [different to using a DE, mines just of the face] and NO PRESURE AT ALL, a wonderful machine, must use mine more often.

T

I have a 1912 and a micromatic. The MM looks way better, but the 1912 is a better shaver. As stated here, and most everywhere on the net, the MM is a truly aggressive razor and needs to be treated with due respect. I would suggest you try and find a 1912 to actually shave with, and use the MM as a display piece...

BTW, flea market may well be one of those Dutch words/concepts that crept into US English from Manhattan (Nieuw Amsterdam) and/or New Jersey (Nieuw Nederland) Dutch. Like 'boss', 'cookies', 'santa claus', and 'awpestarte'... In holland we have 'vlooienmarkt' which literally translates to 'flea market' and which denotes a 'brocante' - bric-a-brac - assorted second hand goods market.

Back
Top Bottom