Upgrade my razor

Maybe it is too soon to be thinking of upgrading from my Wilkinson Sword Classic brought a couple of weeks ago and only tried with the supplied blades so far...

However here I am thinking of doing so.

In light of that and bearing in mind I wont be in position to buy anything until I get paid this month (week after next) what would you "experts" recommend I go for and also WHY that particular razor ??

You should have jumped in quicker on my Edwin Jagger, mate!

If you have a look under both the "Safety Razor" and "Safety Razor Reviews" links, that will give you lots of ideas. Several of the basic razors (such as the EJ's) all use the same head - Paul did a very useful comparison, which I think you'll find under the "Safety Razor" section.

Much depends on whether you want a light razor or a heavy one, or a long or short handle. And it's all down to personal preference.

Besides, if you hang around this place for long enough you'll end up with a whole range of razors anyway!

Regards

Ian

I bought that razor to start with. I jumped ship after a week!

I bought a Merkur 33C. It's a nice razor and it totally different to the wilkinson sword one you have. Far more aggressive. My GF now uses it!

I may get a EJ one with a black handle next to match my brush. But for now I'm happy with my 33C and still learning a lot!

Nothing wrong with the Classic, I started with one in August and used it for a month before getting a vintage Gillette Tech. I was looking at getting a EJ 89 but the Tech was 1/3 the price and a great little jewel of a razor.

edited to add: I might still go for an Edwin Jagger, but I'm in no rush as I'm enjoying using the Tech so much!

I agree Edwin Jagger are great little shavers.

They all have the same head, its the handle and weight thereof which changes. Personally I have the chrome one which I think is great.

I'd look for a Gillette Rocket Flare tip or HD, great shaves, no fuss, not expensive. (flare tip is easier to get)
Avoid adjustables until you know what you're doing. (Slim, Fatboy, Futur etc..) (I made that mistake)

But that's just me.. ;)

M.

A Gillette flair tipped super speed would make a great razor. IMO they are very middle of the road in terms of agressive vs mild shave. As mentioned, they are readily available & can be cheap as chips.

I'd stick with a conventional non adjustable at the moment A/Towers, as previously mentioned. As far as new razors are concerned I'm with MoodyM on this one. The Muehle 89C is a gr8 razor imo , nice deep cross hatching on the handle affords good grip, well engineered and the head really shows the design work which went into it. I'm not surprised that Edwin Jagger and Muehle use it . It's not a particularly agressive razor, but wont be found wanting when you decide to go for a really close shave for an evening out. Don't see how you could go wrong with this one if it's in budget.

JohnnyO :geek:

Have a look on BST. My EJ87 is currently en route to Scotland, but the new owner was blissfully unaware that another one has been bought for him, so if you're quick, it can be returned to Hampshire! ;)

I'm in the same boat as you - looking to upgrade from a WS Classic.

From my research it seems you can't go wrong with the Merkur 34C HD as a good starter/all rounder so will probably go for one of them myself.

fozz77 said:
A Gillette flair tipped super speed would make a great razor. IMO they are very middle of the road in terms of agressive vs mild shave. As mentioned, they are readily available & can be cheap as chips.

Totally agree. This was my starting razor, and I still default to it for trying new products. A Great razor.

Back
Top Bottom