Unusual treasures

Hiya,

If you're like me, there's a good chance of having a few sorta oddball razors laying around the shaving arsensal. I don't necessarily mean the most expensive piece, but rather one you don't see very often. I imagine you guys find things over there I'd never see in the antique stores, flea markets, or boot sales around here. Heh, I still think us Yanks have got the clean part of the stick when it comes to running across Gillettes though.

So come up with a weird item and a few pics. Maybe toss in a couple sentences about how it performs. Might be a SE, DE, or straight.......doesn't matter.

I can start out with a French razor I have very little knowledge about. Bought the thing on the hope it would be a good fit for me, but it has a little too much bite (about a #6-7) than I prefer. It's called a Bohin, and it's a three piecer. Well made, with what looks like nickle plating, with a feel and weight almost like an aggressive Slim with teeth. Seriously, that what this thing reminds me of.

From what I understand, this razor may have been used by Charles de Gaulle, but I can't be positive. Heh, if I had to guess, I'd say I'm the only one with a genuine Bohin in the neighborhood.........

Ok, that'll do it for me,

Martin

Here you go: Bon Appetit

Attachments

• Bohin.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 198
Hiya,

Ok, I can only guess that no one has a weird or rarely seen razor. Oh, I know, you're too shy to post anything. Perfectly understandable. Yeah.....right.

Hell, that's ok, I have maybe 1-2 more to mention. This next one I was gonna save till later after others had posted, but I guess this is later............sheesh. I hope you lazy bums don't hate me for having this razor in my possesion.

Actually, this will be for Sharon and the other female members who put up with TSR mob. Yes, it's a vintage lady's razor, made right here in Chicago Illinois USA North America. Matter of fact, Steve (skinless) has a slant made by this same company.

Behold the Lady Pomco in all her glory! One side's curved, and the other's a slant. Only problem I had with it was she tried to bite me constantly. Oops, I meant she tried taking huge love nibbles outta my face and neck. Yep, I used the slant side and it nearly kilt me. I can only imagine how the curved side would feel.

I am just so proud to have this beauty in my shaving arsenal,

Martin

Oh yeah, I believe this razor may have been used by Mrs Alphonse Capone, but I can't be certain.

Attachments

• Pomco instructions (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 153
  • pomco 002 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 153
  • pomco 001 (Small).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 152
Yeah, well, I´ve got a couple. This one was a gift from the Duke of Wellingtion to the King of Sweden, back in the days. I traded it with the grand sons son (todays king of Sweden), he wanted a Slim twist for it... I think I got the better end of the deal ... he´s such a sucker :mrgreen:

Yeah, well, this is nothing without pics:

0101024x754.jpg

0051024x661.jpg

0041024x768.jpg

Wow, that's an old beauty there Mikael.

The only really unusual piece I have came from the big bald Swede himself... it's a matador open comb that Mikael kindly threw in with a Tech deal. It's still a mystery to me, and I still have to shave with it. It looks the part, proper man's razor. I promise that I will shave with it this weekend! I will add photos too, by Friday night.

Mikael said:
Yeah, well, I´ve got a couple. This one was a gift from the Duke of Wellingtion to the King of Sweden, back in the days. I traded it with the grand sons son (todays king of Sweden), he wanted a Slim twist for it... I think I got the better end of the deal ... he´s such a sucker :mrgreen:

Hi there,

Now that's something you don't see every day. You think The Duke's the one who 'engraved' his name on that thing? Jeepers.

I know that name......gimme a minute. Oh yeah, wasn't he a famous English chef before going on to be Duke of Wellington in later life? The hell was that dish he was known for.........it'll come to me. Heh.......of course, it was his special culinary concoction called Bubble and Squeak.

Thanks for sharing your treasure,

Martin

Mikael said:

Seriously Mikael: Did you actually trade this with the King of Sweden? If so, I'm amazed he did not want a sports car of some sort ... or perhaps a voucher for even more plastic surgery for his wife... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you are right, you got the upper hand!

/Max

Canuck said:
Wow, that's an old beauty there Mikael.

The only really unusual piece I have came from the big bald Swede himself... it's a matador open comb that Mikael kindly threw in with a Tech deal. It's still a mystery to me, and I still have to shave with it. It looks the part, proper man's razor. I promise that I will shave with it this weekend! I will add photos too, by Friday night.

Cheers Mate! I´ve been told Greta Garbo shaved her legs with that one, but I´m not sure about that (no first hand intel).

Martin: Wasn´t it black pudding... or Shepherds pie....Nah, those where the ones with the razors (se below)

Max: Yeah, that was a sweet trade. Once he tried to pull a fast one with me though. Said he wanted a boob job for his wife, for a Shepherd blade that the old King of England had used and then given to his grand dad (se pics below). I told him he was full of it and offered a British Tech for it.

003800x439.jpg

Not sure how unusual this one is, but I think it's very cool, especially now the do the 73 blade vibrating razor..

This is a vibrating DE (takes standard blades), you wind it up.

6WTLR.jpg

YZ342.jpg

This one works, comes with a lovely wooden box, and I think it's been used quite a bit. (seeing the wear), so someone liked it :)

Max

antdad said:
I'd like to know if those Stahly's actually work Max?

What's doin Tony,

Believe it or not, my dad bought me one of those things when they were new (1960s). Yeah, I am old. So old that I can't actually recall what the shave was like, but I do remember how damn heavy that handle was. Heh, felt like shaving with a small flashlight. That, plus the vibrating, made it one I didn't spend a lot of time with.

Max, I'm glad you got one that actually works.

Martin

Hiya,

Over the years I've probably handled about 30 Aristocrats/Diplomats. Sold almost all of em, but a couple have stuck around. This Diplomat is in my rotation (great shaver), along with a 1946-47 Aristocrat.

You'll notice this has a two tone handle, with the TTO being a different color than the rest of the handle. Also, it seems like the top part near the head is silver. This one's dated 1956 (B2), which is a sorta unusual year for this razor.

I've seen pics of similar strange variations like this, but never had one in my hands besides the one here. Looks kinda nice having that contrast. Oh yeah, I can't be positive, but I think this Diplomat may have been owned by Mickey Mantle. (famous US chef).

Martin

Back
Top Bottom