Unshaven appearance with OC razor?

On the Edwin Jagger site at the Muhle Open Comb DE razor it says:

"The new open comb safety razor is intended for men with a denser, stronger beard growth. These razors will be ideal for anyone who prefers that 'designer stubble' or 'just out of bed' look!

The idea is that the 'open' comb edge to the razor lifts the longer beard hair and then trims off the hair ends to leave a tidy unshaven appearance."

My experience with the first pass of an OC razor like the Gillette NEW is that it leaves VERY little stubble for the next passes. What's your experience with this Muhle?

Arguably open combs were originally manufactured for that purpose, it's possible they might be trying to reintroduce an old practice but really you'd get a trimmer for that and it would be less painful and cost less.

Marketing BS written by a copy writer that has never used a DE razor in his life.

I do wonder if they think that the comb acts like the guard on a beard/hair trimmer?

Ian

IanM said:
Marketing BS written by a copy writer that has never used a DE razor in his life.

I do wonder if they think that the comb acts like the guard on a beard/hair trimmer?

Ian

I agree with Ian......

I would think the only bonus of using an open comb for a heavy beard would be that the open comb wouldn't "clog up" with soap and stubble debris as much as a closed comb...I don't think I'd want to try achieve a designer stubble with one....It'd be like being plucked..

I don't think the blurb about the 'out of bed look' is true. In fact, the open comb razor is very easy to use, and you don't need a coarse beard or several days of stubble either. But if you shave with just one pass it will leave stubble - as is well known. A second pass XTG, and then a third pass XTG the other way will shave really close. That's with the Merkur 25C.

My Muhle 41r gives me the closest shave of any of my razors....Superb super close shave..........but if you get the blade to face angle wrong you'll soon know about it....you'll feel sandpapered..very rough sandpaper at that.

As for designer stubble.....Don't even think about going there.

Back
Top Bottom