"Undoughnutting" Synth Brush

Years ago when I started using synthetic brushes no one knew to comb the knot post-shave to prevent the dreaded "doughnut" effect that many face latherers get. I do that on my newer ones thereby avoiding this, but my Cashmere & Mew Brown have it bad and no amount of combing solves it. I have read however that if you dip the knot for a minute or so in boiling water and then comb/bind you can bring them back to new.

Has anyone done this & care to comment? :unsure:

I have used many synthetics for a good number of years and have not encountered the doughnut. I have encountered one which ended up with a lop-sided splay.

Yes - The way I fixed that and the way that I would (without question) tackle a doughnut would be to immerse the bristles in boiling water. This resets a synthetic knot.

You can also take the opportunity to introduce a little splay while the bristles are still malleable. I believe you can do this any number of times. My original synthetic was a Kent Infinity Silvertex and I think I've had that in boiling water a handful of times, the first could of times the whole brush was dropped in. Now, I'd immerse the bristles only in a mug of boiling water.

If your domestic hot tap is hot enough or the heating system pulses overly hot water through when first fired up, you might get away with it under the hot tap ... or holding the bristles in the steam over a kettle and comb through as you go.

Good luck!

I assume the doughnutting and lopsidedness is more of an aesthetic problem? Do the brushes still work as you'd expect them to? I have a couple that are beginning to lightly doughnut but just assumed it wasn't going to affect performance.

Affect performance, not really. However, unsightly. I am a face "masher" when I face lather and this affects the shape quickly.

I will take before & after photos when I attempt this.

I didn't know about this , so really useful
Looking forward to a before and after pic
I have a cheap Wilkinson sword brush and where the knot attaches to handle is a big lump of what I'm not sure , I thought it was silicone or soap build up . I didn't want to toss it as I really like using it and it's my go to brush / everyday brush out of the six brushes I have . So I better stick the kettle on and find a comb ( not easy as I'm a slap heid )

Current state:

GnYOVEt.jpg

cwsZqQf.jpg

azXsbOS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom