UK Rocket HD vs. Merkur 34c

Evening gents. As some of you know, I recently purchased an English-made HD Rocket from our BST section. So far I've only shaved with it once, using my standard blade for trying a new razor, a German Wilkie (yes, I know they're not popular here, but I like them). Anyway, the shave was uncomfortable, but I put that down to the fact that the razor had been rattling around in my drawer with the blade in it. it's now living in a bag to protect the new blade - a Permasharp that was kindly included with the razor. Anyway, my question is this, as a long-time 34c fan, I'd be interested to hear what those of you with experience of both razors think about the Rocket compared to the 34c in terms of aggressiveness. Looking at the blade gap it looks a touch less aggressive, but I just wanted to hear some opinions.
Thanks in advance.

I've got both, I don't like the shaves from the rocket at all but I'm probably not the best person to compare as I've never found a vintage razor yet that shaves as well as a Merkur. I think I have a mental block on vintage stuff.

It seems less aggressive to me, it certainly feels like I get a less clean / close shave with the rocket.

Cheers mate, I know you prefer Merkurs and Jaggers. As you no doubt realised, I appreciate that no-one can predict in advance whether they'll like a particular razor; but I felt that most people who had used both would be able to give a subjective opinion on how aggressive the Rocket was in comparison with the 34c even if they didn't like one or even both of the razors.

Ive had quite a few vintage razors but when I finally came back to a 34c it was like being reunited with a long lost friend.

I find the rockets are blade fussy and don't offer a clean cut like the Merkur. I find it quite easy to have irritated skin when using a vintage razor but id have to mess something up quite a lot to get any problems with the Merkur.

Funnily enough, until now my experience has been the opposite in terms of my only other vintage razor (Slim) being more forgiving and less blade-fussy than the 34c, which is my tool of choice for hacking through several days worth of growth. I bought the Rocket hoping for a slightly milder everyday razor.

Unlike Canuck I am a big fan of vintage razors and have owned both. In fact I have owned 4 HD500s and still own 1 but as it it is an early cased one it is just in my collection. I could never get on with HD and tried different years to see if it was just the production run (old Gillettes vary a bit from year to year as Dodgy will i am sure verify as he has tried a number of Fatboys until he found "the one").
My 1st decent razor was the 34c and I found it to be a good razor, not fussy about blades and easy to master your technique on as it is quite forgiving.
So as much as it pains me to admit if I was given the choice of only the 2 razors I would go for the Merkur but you won't see me buying one again.
You might have been better going for a normal F/T Superspeed or even a 1940s Fat or Thin Handle tech ?
If you want to try either of them out give me a shout and I can lend you either of them ?
Steve

Cheers Steve, I might take you up the the offer once I've given the Rocket a few shaves. I should point out that I'm very familiar with the Merkur as it was my only proper De razor for some time. Even now, until I bought the Rocket I had the Merkur and a Slim only.

i love my hd 500 rocket, but i have only tried it with derby's & yellow 7 o clocks. i have an ej89 but prefer the rocket & slim adj by far, would like a 34c merkur judging by the rave reviews, but why do i need to spend 30 quid if it goes back on its stand permanently like the ej?

all down to taste n face :icon_razz:

I don't know what it is but my Rocket HD is very difficult to get a decent shave out of. I love the weight and solid feel of the thing but I find I have to get a weird angle compared to all the other vintage Gillettes I have and then I get very mediocre shaves that feel a bit draggy. Could just be a dough one - quite battle worn.

I haven't used a 34C but I have a 38R which is the long handle and the length and handle weight with that head plough through several days' stubble with most blades but is often a tad on the aggressive side for me. great as a first pass razor when I haven't shaved for a few days - probably the best i have - but second and touch up passes with a Tech or similar makes an ideal combination.

Well, I've now used it twice. As I mentioned, I loaded a Wilkie for the first shave, and it dragged badly. Yesterday, I loaded a Perma-Sharp that Trainman sent with the razor, and it was superb. Smooth, not as aggressive as the 34c but still a close shave, and it just seemed to glide around my face. I just hope that wasn't a one-off.

Back
Top Bottom