UK meteorology

A skim over damp ground that froze too slippy to get up nowhere near deep enough for chains, nowhere was really covered though North Leeds looked like it got hit worse. Coming over the ridge last night was blizzard enough to mean I couldn't use my main beams.

Edit: I apparently lost the ability to form a proper sentence for this post. I apologise for this lapse.

Last edited:
Usual morning analysis:

Don't worry, Colum, my anxiety and its effects are pretty bad this morning, so I'm struggling as well.

Are the quotes from the Netweather member of any interest?

While you're thinking about that, I thought I'd give advanced warning of a possibility (and it is only a possibility this far out) of a deep Atlantic depression which may cross the country next Friday. It seems that, rather than being on a strong zonal jet running as usual from west to east, it may arrive from the north-west and head south-east, with multiple potential impacts including flooding in the south and south-west, blizzards in the north and north-east, high winds and, conceivably, coastal flooding as water is forced southwards in the North Sea. It might well come to nothing, but I'll try to keep members informed, and, if it's still showing on the models early next week, it might be advisable for you to check forecasts/Met Office website. To quote Netweather's senior forecaster:

Yes, still of interest. Thanks for posting. P.

Usual update:

Apologies for the late post today - we were busy and my anxiety yesterday and this morning was very bad, though it's improved significantly this afternoon:

Last edited:
Don't let it be a strain on you Chris m8. The way things have been changing around we can always just draw lots and have as good a chance of getting it correct as not !

JohnnyO. o/
Thanks Johnny. I think the general pattern of a mild few days, followed by rain and wind on Thursday and something colder and (for some) snowy on Friday and early next weekend is fairly likely to transpire, but the details and how the colder period at the end of the week goes are still to be determined - that said, I haven't caught-up with today's model discussion yet!

Was giving a short 60 minute flying lesson on Saturday. Never seen low cloud and general murk come in so quickly and equally, never been so pleased to get wheels back on tarmac - flying at 400' at one point dodging turbines.

Passenger never batted an eyelid, but with all the aviation planning we do, still amazed just how quickly things can change with uk weather.

Interesting indeed- no wonder meteorology is such a large part of aviation training.