Two Muhles for Sister Sara

The Hardware:

Muhle R89 - beautifully balanced and not too aggressive, I used the Derby Extra blade that came with it, I thought the blade was fine although
I haven't had a chance to try the Personna's that arrived with it yet.

Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush.

The software:

Tabac Original Soap.
Nivea ASB

Shaving this way took me back a few years, but it wasn't as scary as I had imagined, you just need to allow time.

With hindsight what I should have done was stopped shaving after the first downwards pass, but you know how it is, you start looking for perfection
and so I continue with upward strokes and then sideways on the lower neck area, which resulted in the faintest of weepers, which was cured
with the styptic pencil.

I rinsed with cold water and applied Nivea ASB which calmed it all down.

Nothing dramatic and certainly not enough to put me off DE shaving, in fact I often had the same problems when using a multi blade razor, so I suspect
any irritation is down to my skin type (sensitive) and my over use of the razor.

Problem areas:
The chin area and lower neck, especially when trying to achieve a smooth finish from the throat area outwards, must work on that.

foofighter said:
Nothing dramatic and certainly not enough to put me off DE shaving, in fact I often had the same problems when using a multi blade razor, so I suspect any irritation is down to my skin type (sensitive) and my over use of the razor.

Or pressing on too hard, shaving over unlathered areas and lather not as good as it could be.

Or pressing on too hard, shaving over unlathered areas and lather not as good as it could be.

Yes quite possibly, however I was using the Muhle very lightly and took a lot of time to lather my face up really well (Tabac helps there)
It's very early days and I will limit myself to a single downward pass on my next shave and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice though.

Hey good start!

I still mainly do 2 passes and have only just started to do an ATG under the chin.

In the army they used to give new recruits a lesson. No blade, lather up and just remove the lather with light shortish strokes. Not to think of it as shaving but as lather removal! They taught them never to go over the same bit twice. Mantic 49 refers to shaving as beard reduction using several passes and not as trying to obtain a smooth shave all iin one go.

I used to use a merker 34HD and had and did much less well than your first experience here. It gets better and better!!!
Especially early in the morning, quiet house, sun coming in the bathroom window. Luxury!!
Cheers,
Tim.

i'd say... when you stop using the derby blades and switch to the personas you'll notice a big difference,

i thought the derbys were ok at first, but with hindsight and experience i now liken them to dragging a blunt file across my face :)

I like the title of this topic, it made me smile....though you seem to be one muhle(mule) short. Learn how your beard grows (that's key), lather well, and I am told not to do more than two passes at first, especially on sensitive skin...AND don't press on, let the razor do the work.

I'd echo the comments above and add that just plain practice will improve your results a lot. You have some great kit to start with. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom