Tsugeru Kanetaka

KANETAKA CUTLERY Co.--- Established as Japanese Razor blacksmith two hundred years ago, and Kanetaka has been making cutlery for traditional Kyoto Professional craftsmen, such as cooking chef, Kado (Japanese traditional flower arrangement), Paper hanger, Kimono Maker, and etc.

It is put together Jigane (softer steel) and Hagane (harder steel, white II steel) with right temperature as precisely. If it is put together higher than right temperature, we do not see the line of marks putting together two steels because of melting the two steels. Kanetaka razor is put together with the temperature as low as it can, so it is not totally melt two steels that is why we can see the welding lines on the front and back of the blade.

Some knife collectors seek those knives, which have welding lines or marks on purpose, because it is more possibility to weld right temperature. It means it might be sharper than one without welding marks or lines. The edge of the blade is high quality white II steel.

Shinogi (the front side of the center line) is also used white II steel on purpose, because Shinogi is very important to sharpen single bevel edge accurately. When the front side is sharpened, Shinogi and blade edge are attach on whetstone, so if Shinogi is Jigane (softer steel), it is easier to sharpen and change the original angle and line. Using Hagane (harder steel) for Shinogi is ideal way to more accurate sharpening. Of course, the front and back side of the blade has deep cone cave to make easier to sharpening. The spine side and the front side of spine side are beautiful mirror finished.

The handle covered Tosuke rubbler grip on it.

The razor is called gNichogakeh as Kanetaka Japanese razor which means logner version blade for Kanetaka.

The blade length: 50mm(2 inch). The total length of the razor: 165mm (6 1/2 inch) The backside of the thickest part of the blade: 4.5mm (3/16h) The total weight of the knife: 1.7oz.

Specs:
Size 1
Blade size: 18mm ( 11/16 )
Blade length: 45mm
Spine width: 5mm
Total length: 155mm
Point: Oblique.
Handle: Tosuke blue grip
Storage: Comes with green box and oxidation paper

Size 2
Blade size: 21mm ( 14/16 )
Blade length: 50mm ( 49mm )
Spine width: 5mm
Total length: 167mm
Point: Oblique.
Handle: Tosuke blue grip
Storage: Comes with green box and oxidation paper

th_SPM_A0169.jpg

th_SPM_A0170.jpg

th_SPM_A0171.jpg

th_SPM_A0173.jpg

th_SPM_A0174.jpg

th_SPM_A0176.jpg

th_SPM_A0177.jpg

More here:
Size 1
Size 2

Top kanji: Munekou Tsuki.

Centre kanji: Touroku shouhyou ( Trademark )

Rest of kanji: Kanetaka Zou ( or tsukuri ) ( Kanetaka made )

Craftsmanship:
Since majority of SR shavers have the legendary Iwasaki I'll compare it to that along with others.

The stamps aren't legible. It's understandable overtime stamps, washes or even etchings fade but this is brand new or at least sold as such.

The cross-section is interesting. While the Size 2 is canted in way Iwasaki is, the Size 1 on the other hand isn't as aggressive. It more closely resembles that of Norikazu's canting. The Livi spiked higher elevation.

The blackened portion's ( carbon remnants as I recall ), is not present along the spine or shoulder of the blade. Instead, it's dispersed along handles.

th_SPM_A0182.jpg

th_SPM_A0183.jpg

Instead you are treated to mirror finish on the shoulder ( hakata ). It's more subdued with Size 1 for it looks more like brushed mirror finish if that makes sense.

The notch on the omote ( front side/non-stamped ) is brushed horizontally whereas it runs vertically with Iwasaki and Livi-diagonally with Norikazu's.
It's also accentuated and longer compared to both Iwasaki and Livi.

One thing to note about these razors is on front side of each just above the cutting edge ( kireba ) is faint watermark of some kind. It runs 1mm on Size 1 and 2mm on Size 2. I wouldn't necessarily call this a hamon as I'm no expert in field.

Like the Iwasaki, these are muted at the toe ( hasaki ) with slant whereas it's rounded more with Livi and pointed with Norikazu.

I was a little dismayed by the fissures present on these. Size 1 is slight but it's there around the waist ( katanagoshi ) on ura ( stamped side ) and along shoulder of front side ( omote ).
Size 2 is a doozy. It's evidently across the blade on ura ( back/stamped side ). Further, it's also on the omote but it's slight dot at centre of the watermark.

Having checked some forums, I discovered some razors had fissures as well. But these are minuscule and don't give the impression of creating a gaping hole.

I took the liberty of removing the blue grips. It was easier on Size 1 and quite a feat for Size 2. I'm glad these weren't glued as I didn't want to resort to cutting them. I have no intention of using them but for keepsake.
To further devalue this magnificent work of art, I discover patina on both sides of the handles. They appear more like pitting.

Balance:
Like your typical Japanese razor it's nice and light. Maneuvering around is simple task. Size 1 is lighter than Kanetake. Size 2 given it's size, is heavier than both Iwasaki and Livi ATS34. However, between these two it's difficult to determine which is heavier.

Shave:
Having shaved with Iwasaki, Livi, and Norikazu's Kanetake I wasn't the least bit surprised when it mirrored the performance of Iwasaki and Norikazu. My initial test shave was comparable to other test shaves I've done with both Iwasaki and Norikazu. Indeed, it outperformed a $450 waste of pile. Livi isn't to be blame as the vendor/honer was last to touch it and thus I got rid of it keeping all the Japanese razors.

Considering this is my first Size 2 and one of largest Japanese razor to date, I didn't have any difficulty maneuvering the blade around. It came very natural.

Collectability:
I don't know enough about the blacksmith. It's not mass produced to my knowledge as I haven't seen these anywhere else. This is indeed keeper in spite of its shortcomings. I just can't stand the bloody fissure. If only it didn't negate its graceful design.

Overall:
Design is impressive-not nearly as dashing as Iwasaki but it holds its own. The shave was as expected but could be better-neither razors fault nor brush ( hard water conflict with cream ).
The craftsmanship was sub-par actually one of the worst I've seen.
While I haven't seen many of these, the fissure looks to be common problem. If it was minute size like Size 1 I could live with it. Sure the mirror finish on along the spine and shoulder of omote was nicely done in addition to faint watermark that runs along blade ( just above cutting edge ), but still does not compensate for the flaws. It's inexcusable. Generally, I'm not one to be picky but majority of buyers out there are. People expect more for less. I ascribe to just the opposite, you get what you pay for.

To date these razors shave as good as I initially received them. Don't mind the scathing remarks about the weld lines.

Update:
With regards to the welded lines or "fissure" as I incorrectly put it, this is actually normal. Mike Blue from another forum touched on this and mentioned to one member:

Looking at these both sets of pictures carefully...you can see the welding lines where a piece of high carbon steel has been welded to a lesser steel. The square corner of the high carbon piece even shows up on the second razor. They would not likely do that with tamahagane, if they could get some away from a swordsmith. The toolmaker's tradition dictates a high carbon steel welded to wrought iron or mild steel generally. Where it can be deceptive to the buyer is that wrought iron has a grain pattern that can look like pattern welding. You would need to etch these blades to really know for sure. I think enough evidence is present to not have to do that.

I'll touch on the honing but let me just say that this was easy.

I skimmed this post on Shave Ready, and promise to read it with all my faculties engaged - when I'm fully sober (been painting the town red with Fido in an effort to avoid the political punch up in the Lounge).

I've owned a fair number of kiridashi and oire nomi over the years and have nothing but admiration for Japanese blades, although they need a lot of looking after. I'm definitely very interested, but we need a primer on Japanese razors here, Ivan, and you're clearly the man to do it. I have one preliminary question: clearly these razors are one sided affairs - you presumably shave with the ura inwards. Therefore, do you change hands for each side of the face: I suppose you must do? I've become accustomed to using a western razor backhanded for the right side of my face and I foresee great tribulation if I try to be ambidextrous.

Thanks in advance, Ivan.

Arrowhead said:
I skimmed this post on Shave Ready, and promise to read it with all my faculties engaged - when I'm fully sober (been painting the town red with Fido in an effort to avoid the political punch up in the Lounge).

I've owned a fair number of kiridashi and oire nomi over the years and have nothing but admiration for Japanese blades, although they need a lot of looking after. I'm definitely very interested, but we need a primer on Japanese razors here, Ivan, and you're clearly the man to do it. I have one preliminary question: clearly these razors are one sided affairs - you presumably shave with the ura inwards. Therefore, do you change hands for each side of the face: I suppose you must do? I've become accustomed to using a western razor backhanded for the right side of my face and I foresee great tribulation if I try to be ambidextrous.

Thanks in advance, Ivan.

Andy,

Thank you. I use only right hand shaving throughout with the omote ( front ) or non-stamped/convex side on or against my face and the ura (back) stamped/concave side facing outwards.

With my western razors I switch hands essentially giving each hand fair amount of usage. I didn't want to get used to just one hand.

Truth be told I found the learning curve of these easier than western straights. Perhaps it's the lack of scales and thus saving weight proven itself to be more quicker ( at least for me anyway ). My brother ( after having shaved him ) decided to finish up felt very comfortable. Although I warned him about the 90 degree angles he employed. Not a nick or cut. He just needs more use.

Back
Top Bottom