TSR Epsilon LE 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool material. Have you handled the Anniversary? It's a great profile.
Looking forward to seeing the final version. I really like the V-L Silver Tip.
Thanks, not personally, however I have been told the ergonomics are much better. I don't have any issues with this in the normal Epsilon. Is the anniversary edition heavier?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My only criticism and its harsh would be over the handle. Having been spoiled by Bernd I really enjoy the heavier substantial handles he produces. So I'm glad we are going for a custom handle, with regards to the group buy. I wouldn't say it is a bad handle though, just a little light for me.

Stellar review btw, thanks for posting.

Some quick questions;
1) As far as the handle goes - how will the custom handle be made so that it has a more substantial feel/weight to it than the Epsilon you reviewed above? Is it the additional weight of the coin?

2) How does the 136 vs 154 Euro compare to what you would pay for an Epsilon brush such as this one if one was to buy one outside of the group buy?

Last edited:
2) How does the 136 vs 154 Euro compare to what you would pay for an Epsilon brush such as this one if one was to buy one outside of the group buy?
Pricing is similar to standard stock. The negotiations haven't earned us significant price benefits yet. So far the only benefit is a larger knot and a custom TSR-branded handle. BTW, G&C don't charge VAT on sales destined to non-EU countries (ie. USA) so they are somewhat cheaper despite the extra shipping cost.
133 Euro 2-band 27/50mm
155 Euro 3-band 26/50mm

A good friend of mine gave me some good info regarding Epsilon brushes he's owned a few here's what he told me, this may be of interest to you Avnish.

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I have two Epsilon brushes, having sold one.
The standard range is two hair types - 2-Band and 3-Band Silvertip, both available in 50mm and 55mm lofts with a fixed 27mm diameter. Currently, only bulb is available although I do also have Juan's BSB brush with a 2-Band Fan in Vie-Long hair.

All Epsilon knots are extremely dense and scritch-free. I had both lofts in 2-Band, but sold the 50mm. Due to density, there was little splay and even for me, it was scrubby to extreme. I have kept the 55mm but possibly that is set too high for my ideal brush. I would say that a 27x53 bulb would be perfect for me in 2-Band.

That said, I have the 50mm 3-Band Silvertip and it's an incredible brush. My favourite. Extremely dense, Thater- like softness, but the density provides excellent backbone whilst still giving good splay. I prefer it over the 2-Band.

Interestingly, my BSB-2 which has a fan knot and uses Vie-Long 2-Band, is pretty scritchy and surprised me. It's only a 25mm diameter, though. The knot also has quite a few black hairs which is totally different to the Epsilon brushes which are very white.

Downside to Epsilon is the handle. Very cheap look and feel compared to others. That said, the knots are so good, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Last edited:
Stellar review btw, thanks for posting.

Some quick questions;
1) As far as the handle goes - how will the custom handle be made so that it has a more substantial feel/weight to it than the Epsilon you reviewed above? Is it the additional weight of the coin?

Hi DB thank you for your kind words.

Regarding weight a solid resin handle turned by hand will be heavier than the current moulds made by VL. The coin would add negligible weight to the handle. The current handle feels very light in the hand, but as others have detailed it is all about the hair. If we have to go for a stock handle it is likely to be the same shape (anchor) but in butterscotch and at a lower price.

Regarding price non EU members firstly have the reduction of tax. Secondly we are getting a custom brush with a 28mm knot for the price of a standard 26mm brush with 10% off. I am still going to negotiate further with Juan. According to Juan the 28mm if quoted outside of a group buy, would cost a lot more.

I'm no brush expert but having just taken delivery of an Epsilon 2 band and having now used it for 2 shaves and 3 test lathers, it is in my top 3. The density is superb, the balance IMO is spot on. Face feel it sits between the Shavemac 2 band and DO1 2 band perfectly without scritch from the box.

With regards to the LE I will be asking Juan for a specific hair type which is similar to the last LE produced by Vie Long.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine gave me some good info regarding Epsilon brushes he's owned a few here's what he told me, this may be of interest to you Anvish.

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I have two Epsilon brushes, having sold one.
The standard range is two hair types - 2-Band and 3-Band Silvertip, both available in 50mm and 55mm lofts with a fixed 27mm diameter. Currently, only bulb is available although I do also have Juan's BSB brush with a 2-Band Fan in Vie-Long hair.

All Epsilon knots are extremely dense and scritch-free. I had both lofts in 2-Band, but sold the 50mm. Due to density, there was little splay and even for me, it was scrubby to extreme. I have kept the 55mm but possibly that is set too high for my ideal brush. I would say that a 27x53 bulb would be perfect for me in 2-Band.

That said, I have the 50mm 3-Band Silvertip and it's an incredible brush. My favourite. Extremely dense, Thater- like softness, but the density provides excellent backbone whilst still giving good splay. I prefer it over the 2-Band.

Interestingly, my BSB-2 which has a fan knot and uses Vie-Long 2-Band, is pretty scritchy and surprised me. It's only a 25mm diameter, though. The knot also has quite a few black hairs which is totally different to the Epsilon brushes which are very white.

Downside to Epsilon is the handle. Very cheap look and feel compared to others. That said, the knots are so good, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Thanks for your friends advice Jamie. I can appreciate how the 50mm loft would be fairly stiff. My brush at 55mm is bordering on the scrub/scritch boundary if that makes sense. Any shorter and the high density and backbone would lead to scritch being exhibited.

Before the decision was made on these knot sizes a few gents were asked. Again IMO with the level of density and backbone attributed to these brushes, this loft will eliminate any possibility of scritch whilst still entertaining high levels of backbone (scrub) and density (reduced splay given the high loft). I have also spoken with Juan about the face feel with said knots and response has been positive. Not to ignore your advice, as it is always invaluable, just would like to being something different yet also researched to the table :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom