Trumpers Skin Food Advice

I've been trying some gft skIn food testers and found them to be extremely good at soothing razor burn. However, I find them useless as moisturises, which is odd as people rave about the stuff. It leaves my skin still feeling tight after use. Nivea and even Vaseline intensive care are much better moisturisers for me. Is there any trick to using skin food to get a better moisturising effect?

Or maybe I should just stick to the Vaseline intensive care and use the akin food for occasional razor burn treatment. At least I know Vaseline works well. And I don't want my skin to suffer for using a suboptimal moisturiser.

I use trumpers skin food, I do also use their moisturiser. In the UK winter months (most of the time) Skin food on it's own doesn't do it for me and neither does any aftershave balm or moisturiser product on it's own. I apply skin food after the shave, normally with damp skin, then apply moisturiser a minute or so later.
I must add, I think I have dry skin.

+1 to the two answers above - it needs to be applied to a damp face (or head) to work best.

My understanding is that the main ingredients (Rose water and Glycerin) are more soothing than moisturing per se, so it is not surprising that moisturing products work better in this respect.

Have you tried applying it before a soap or cream to see if this helps retain some of the moisture in the face whilst you shave?

Interestingly, I had some Trumper's Skin Food arrive in the post today.
Of course, I tried it, after this morning's shave.

I don't think I like it.
It is like a sticky gel.
It certainly didn't moisturise or soothe.
My skin has felt sore all day. (That never normally happens to me)

It gets one more chance. And that's all.

Rod

I think the Trumper's Skin Food has had its second chance.

Today (as advised by some) I applied it over damp skin.
It went on more smoothly
It went sticky as it began to dry
My hands were left very sticky.
Afterwards, my skin was left feeling very dry.
I could even hear the dryness of the skin as I ran my hands over it.
My skin feels sensitive again.

Enough. I put some moisturiser on.

Surely this stuff should be doing some good?
Who knows if it is feeding my skin as the product suggests?

Rod

Neep said:

It went on more smoothly

Rod

Odd, but I'm sure it probably doesn't work for some people.

Personally, like you, I found applying it do dry skin useless so what I do now is dampen my sponge with cold water and run it over my face (my face is probably wetter than just damp).

I then apply the skin food and it seems to 'trap' the water as it dries.

But, if it doesn't work for you that gives you a fine excuse to try plenty of other balms!

I've given up on this as a moisturiser. I want to like it; because it's Trumper's (goddammit) but alas I fall into the dry, sticky skin camp.

It's somewhat effective as a preshave, adding some improved hydration, glide and "luxury" to one's routine. Not essential though.

The only area it excels is in treating razor burn, but Boots glycerine and Rose water does the same thing for much less £, if you don't mind smelling a bit girly for 30 seconds!

Tried the skin food twice, through samplers I received. Completely useless and provides no benefit at all as an AS or moisturiser, not anything else noticeable for the face either. The Sandalwood smells great though. The Coral smells like putting Turkish Delight on your face.

But they sell this stuff in 500ml bottles, so someone is buying it.

The Trumper's was a "must have " for me until Martin (Prof B) made me up some pre shave oil & aftershave splash & a balm. I've got skin which is both excessively oily & kinda troublesome, so maybe the Trumper's works better for us oily guys. Like so much shaving "stuff", it really is horses for courses I guess.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Neep said:

It went on more smoothly

Rod

I love the stuff. Both Coral and Limes. My experience with skin food couldn't be more different. I use it on my head and face, neither feel dry or sticky.

As far as I know you are meant to use the skin food to clam and sooth then skin after shaving and then use a moisturiser on top of that to protect and moisturise the skin..

that's how it was explained to me in Trumpers when I had a shaving lesson with them (I was switching from electric shaving to wet shaving) about 15 years ago ..

Back
Top Bottom