Trumpers Brushes

Hi all,

Would like some info on the brushes at Trumpers. Am thinking of getting the Best Badger Chubby. As its £167 i thought id try and find out a bit more about it. Am i right in thinking its a rebranded Simpson chubby? Also, why does Trumpers seem to have a different grading system? Pure - Super - Best. Are the Best brushes simply their Silver Tipped equivilent? I'm a huge fan of all the Trumpers kit. Have just got a DE from them with the gold coloured top (not on their website for some reason). At the mo i have thier small best brush (GT 1).

Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

I'd hate to put anyone off buying a shaving brush!

But be sure you really know what you are getting. If you really want a Simpson, decide which one then find a website that will get you the best deal. That goes for Rooney and Vulfix too. All three get rebranded in the London Barber shops.

The Trumpers Super look like rebranded Vulfix. Vulfix Super is a cheaper alternative to their silvertip. I'm confused too, by the large Chubby. If it's a Chubby 3 the price seeems to be between the Simpsons Best and Super.

Personally I get more pleasure owning the real thing rather than a rebranding. But if you are really confident that you are getting a better deal on an otherwise identical brush, I see the point.

But anyway you look at it £167 is a very expensive brush, so be sure you know what you are getting. I hope someone else can help.

Fido's been on the case.

The Chubby is Best Badger.In the shop they have a Super Badger version of the same brush for £245.

So if you really want a brush with Trumper on it you are paying a very high price indeed. Way over the price for the Simpsons original. Plenty of websites offer good prices on Simpson brushes.

I asked someone at Trumpers about their rebranded Vulfix Super brushes. They said they were really silvertip. They are not. If they were they would be a much higher price.
Vulfix Silvertip is a higher grade than Vulfix Super. As you can see on their website.

My advice to any shaving aficionado is to really do their homework before buying a rebranded brush. Be sure! Or you may pay a lot for having a different name on it. Or it might be the other way round!

Fido said:
Fido's been on the case.

The Chubby is Best Badger.In the shop they have a Super Badger version of the same brush for £245.

So if you really want a brush with Trumper on it you are paying a very high price indeed. Way over the price for the Simpsons original. Plenty of websites offer good prices on Simpson brushes.

I asked someone at Trumpers about their rebranded Vulfix Super brushes. They said they were really silvertip. They are not. If they were they would be a much higher price.
Vulfix Silvertip is a higher grade than Vulfix Super. As you can see on their website.

My advice to any shaving aficionado is to really do their homework before buying a rebranded brush. Be sure! Or you may pay a lot for having a different name on it. Or it might be the other way round!

And you Fido, are worth your wait in the finest badger hair :)

Well done PI Fido. The Chubby (3) is a huge brush anyway with 30mm knot a good step up would be something like the GT3 (Duke3) I must admit I thought that Trumpers Best was Simpson Super hair at least for the GT range anyway.

If you like the GT1 hair there's no harm in just getting a bigger version like the GT3 which has a 24/25mm knot, that's a good size for all applications.

Thanks guys for all your prompt responces! The thing i still dont understand is why are the Trumpers Super brushes (other than the one Fido mentioned) cheaper than their Best brushes? Seems odd! Will do some more digging! Thanks Fido for getting all that info!

Trumpers site:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trumpers.com/shop_detail.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.trumpers.com/shop_detail.cfm</a><!-- m -->

Thnx

FWIW I recently purchased a GT-3 from their Curzon St shop. It says Best on the handle, cost GBP 85.00 has a knot of 24.5mm & a max loft of 47mm ( i know this cos I just measured it with my trusty very near caliper ) I believe this brush is a renamed Simpson Duke 3, the GT-1, 2 = Duke 1 & 2.

I have a feeling that this is Simpsons super badger hair. What ever hair it is it is a fantastic brush.

Jhclaire had a communication with Simpson about his mystery GT3 2 band, they told him it was Simpson Super hair at least in the GT3 anyway.

You'll get into a spin trying to work it, irrespective of hair type Vulfix generally stuff their badger brushes with less hair making them somewhat floppy. Vulfix own Simpson which is the premium brand, that may explain some of the cost difference.

This gives an insight into Vulfix grades and prices:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/products-category.asp?CatID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/produc ... sp?CatID=1</a><!-- m -->

Look closely at some of the designs to identify the Trumper rebrands on their website.

Personally, I would avoid buying a Trumper's (or TOBS) brush. They are indeed rebranded, but I'm not convinced they are made to the same specs or to the same quality. I'm convinced the Stubby 1 I had wasn't really Heritage hair, but I have no proof.

They are also marked up a fair wack.

I've owned a both GFT branded Rooney and Simpson and they are not up to the standards of the originals. Misshapen knots, tall lofts than is usual, and staff who don't really know much about the brushes they sell.

John

This is a GT-3 ( Duke 3 ) next to a Fido 2201.

dsc1025r.jpg

dsc1026g.jpg

Any of you sharks win this? I thought I was on easy street with a low bid. It s a good deal for a CH2 Super or otherwise.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160460028050&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1154</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom