Trawling the 'bay for an SE

I remain unconvinced that an SE gives a closer shave with less irritation but I'm willing to give it a go (I'm willing to give anything a go at the moment, even the dreaded carts). I've been keeping an eye on the 'bay for a cheap 1912 ever ready or gem, the cheaper the better. As I'm just dabbling, I don't want to spend more than I have to, I'm not after a pristine razor. It seems that SE prices have gone the way of DE prices, up. I can remember how cheap they used to be seven or so years ago when I started all this nonsense.

I put a few on my watch list and noticed a particularly nice one with its box going for £20. It looked in good condition but I'm not a collector and it was more than I wanted to spend. The bidding finally ended with no bids and then I notice that it's re-listed but now it's £69. Now, it could be being sold by a member here and I mean no offence but... well, it's a strange selling strategy in my humble opinion. Good luck to whoever is selling it though.

I have a love hate relationship with the bay, I have bought some great hardware from there and also seen some nice kit to for questionable amounts. My new go-to-place for hardware is Etsy, the price are fair and because its not a bidding site so the price you see is the price you pay + shipping.

Etsy.com GEM Razors -> LINK

Thanks for that link Matt, I'd forgotten all about Etsy. I agree, it's nice to see the price your paying. I've had a few bargains off eBay but they're far outweighed by the times I've paid way over the odds when auction fever has gripped me.

On a side note, I was in Berlin last month. What a lovely city. I did have to walk half an hour to find a shop that sold Speick shaving cream though.

What model was on offer? If it was an Ever Ready Streamline then they do go for that kind of money but the 1912 or Gem razors are usually a lot less. If you are trying one for the first time a 1912 is ideal because they are great shavers and not aggressive.

No, it isn't going to sell. I just think a jump from £20 to £69 is strange.

Jpshaver did offer me a razor but as I'm only looking to test the SE waters so to speak, I didn't want to spend very much money. Another member has kindly offered me a PIF 1912 so I shall be giving that a try. I also have a staggeringly high £2 bid on a 1912 on the 'bay. Should it turn out that SEs aren't for me I'll PIF both of them.

Exapno said:
On a side note, I was in Berlin last month. What a lovely city. I did have to walk half an hour to find a shop that sold Speick shaving cream though.

I know I was also hoping to find Tabac being sold on the corner of every street, but I ended up ordering mine from Amazon.de, I guess no developed country has been immune to the rise of the convenience shave! :mad:

... it's a slippery slope, bigfatbloke71 :D

Exapno - Do you have something suitable yet? I can send you a 1912 down to play with if you like, but postage back sounds like the amount you're wanting to spend anyway. Let me have a chat with my vintage razor man. I'm sure he'll have something cheap as chips, not especially mint, but shave-worthy. You'll want a blade, too. If he's got something and you'd like it, I can do the deal for you and pop one of my blades in for you to try out.

Like it, keep it. Don't, PIF it.

I'll ping him an e-mail now ... what's your upper limit for razor plus postage?

Thanks for the offer Paul but I'm sorted for a 1912 thanks to majortom and I was also sent a couple of blades courtesy of YorkNeil. Before I got the offer from majortom I'd placed a low bid on a 1912 from the 'bay, which I won. It's not the prettiest example but it's usable so I intend to PIF that 1912 and one of Neil's blades as I've now purchased a pack of ten from Connaught.

I like the 1912 but find myself wanting to try either a Featherweight or a Flying Wing (Bullet Tip?) so if anyone has one they can loan me it'd be much appreciated. A user grade 1912 seems to be easy enough to find on eBay but the more modern SEs seem to all be located in the States and you end up paying much more in postage than you do for the actual razor.

Superb! So, you're sorted for a 1912 ...

Featherweights are nice, Contours, too. I'd hate to lose mine in the Christmas post, but if you're still interested after the Christmas madness, I'd happily send you my Featherweight and Contour down to play with. They are nice :D

I also have a couple of Micromatics which I've yet to try. The open comb is reputedly a vampire!

Thanks for the offer Paul, I may take you up on that (and I share your misgivings about the postal service during the Xmas period). I hadn't even known the contour existed before your last post. You can keep the Open Comb Micromatic though, I'm not allowed to donate blood for a year.

Back
Top Bottom