Traveling with sensitive skin

I have over sensitive skin. I have found some shaving set ups that work for me. However, these all involve a boar brush and a soap pick.

How do people travel with a brush and soap puck? Doing all I can my boar brush stays too wet to be put away, and I have yet to find a decent way to transport a wet and in use shaving puck.

I'm guessing people will say "use a syth brush", but they all seem too soft to do much exfoliating... Am I just wrong in that thought? Do people have advice for options?

What about the shaving puck? I find that RazorRoc dead sea is one of the better options for my skin. But then I need a bowl to lather it up in (face lathering just doesn't do the job for me). Woolfat is another good one, but finding a suitable post to transport it in (with a good solid reliable lid) is non trivial!

I have tried various shave sticks;, including KoS and Arko, but have yet to find one that doesn't flare my skin up. Any advice or ideas welcome!

I have over sensitive skin. I have found some shaving set ups that work for me. However, these all involve a boar brush and a soap pick.

How do people travel with a brush and soap puck? Doing all I can my boar brush stays too wet to be put away, and I have yet to find a decent way to transport a wet and in use shaving puck.

I'm guessing people will say "use a syth brush", but they all seem too soft to do much exfoliating... Am I just wrong in that thought? Do people have advice for options?

What about the shaving puck? I find that RazorRoc dead sea is one of the better options for my skin. But then I need a bowl to lather it up in (face lathering just doesn't do the job for me). Woolfat is another good one, but finding a suitable post to transport it in (with a good solid reliable lid) is non trivial!

I have tried various shave sticks;, including KoS and Arko, but have yet to find one that doesn't flare my skin up. Any advice or ideas welcome!
I use a boar brush exclusively, I flick most of the water out then rub it on a towel and put on window ledge. By morning it is dry and ready for use.
If I was travelling I would wrap brush in kitchen towels or toilet roll holders to absorb moisture.

Admittedly I do use a synth when travelling, but either way, I will squeeze the water out from the base of the knot, flick it a couple of times and dry the tips gently on a towel and leave to dry. Even the boars will usually be dry by next day. When it's time to move I put it in a tube with holes in the lid. You can buy tubes for carrying brushes but mine is an empty baking soda tube from the supermarket with a hole punched in the middle of the lid.

As for the soap itself, you can just wipe off the moisture with a tissue, it doesn't need to be bone dry. I usually take a shave stick for compactness but if you need to use a particular soap for your skin, honestly just a little bag is OK, I mean, companies post soap samples in little "dope" bags (the kind that fixings often get supplied in).

For a bowl, just get one of those silicone rubber collapsible slow feeder cat bowls off the bay.

Last edited:
What about giving a cream a try ?
Maybe something like a tube of Proraso White ( for sensitive skin ).
Relatively cheap and compact for travel.
Super easy to lather without a bowl but the plastic collapsible dog bowl is a good shout for travelling if you really need / want one.
I would recommend to be generous with the cream when making your lather. It makes a world of difference.

As you have overly sensitive skin I expect you already have set routines and products to use daily but an exfoliating face wash prior to shaving might reduce reliance on the brush and that might give you scope to use something other than boar if you felt the need.
It's just something to consider if you don't already do it.

I hope you find something that works for you anyway.

I use a boar brush exclusively, I flick most of the water out then rub it on a towel and put on window ledge. By morning it is dry and ready for use.
If I was travelling I would wrap brush in kitchen towels or toilet roll holders to absorb moisture.
I'm not sure I like the idea of having damp paper in my luggage! Having the brush dry for the following day isn't brilliant when I need to check out the same day. Sorry, but not sure your ideas will work for me. But thanks for your ideas!

Admittedly I do use a synth when travelling, but either way, I will squeeze the water out from the base of the knot, flick it a couple of times and dry the tips gently on a towel and leave to dry. Even the boars will usually be dry by next day. When it's time to move I put it in a tube with holes in the lid. You can buy tubes for carrying brushes but mine is an empty baking soda tube from the supermarket with a hole punched in the middle of the lid.

As for the soap itself, you can just wipe off the moisture with a tissue, it doesn't need to be bone dry. I usually take a shave stick for compactness but if you need to use a particular soap for your skin, honestly just a little bag is OK, I mean, companies post soap samples in little "dope" bags (the kind that fixings often get supplied in).

For a bowl, just get one of those silicone rubber collapsible slow feeder cat bowls off the bay.
The next day isn't brilliant for checking out that morning. But you are probably right about getting a tube for a synth brush being the most sensible option.

That idea for lathering bowel is a possibility. I shall look into it thanks!

Putting the soap in a small plastic bag seems to be the cheapest solution, but not a very elegant one! Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

What about giving a cream a try ?
Maybe something like a tube of Proraso White ( for sensitive skin ).
Relatively cheap and compact for travel.
Super easy to lather without a bowl but the plastic collapsible dog bowl is a good shout for travelling if you really need / want one.
I would recommend to be generous with the cream when making your lather. It makes a world of difference.

As you have overly sensitive skin I expect you already have set routines and products to use daily but an exfoliating face wash prior to shaving might reduce reliance on the brush and that might give you scope to use something other than boar if you felt the need.
It's just something to consider if you don't already do it.

I hope you find something that works for you anyway.
I've tried some creams, but I've yet to find any particularly good ones. I'll keep going, but it can be an expensive process finding a suitable product! Admittedly I haven't tried the white porasso cream yet.

I do use a posh cleanser before shaving, it's supposed to include exfoliating, but I'll keep an eye out for anything that might help.

If you don't want to fuss with a brush, you could try using a shaving oil.
You seem to be concerned about exfoliation, but unless you're using a negative exposure razor, dragging a blade over the skin is pretty likely to get rid of dead skin as well as a scrubby brush, if not better.

I have a synthetic travel brush, it can be dried out (mostly) on a towel before going into my kit bag.

soap is either a palmolive stick, or a small Arco puck in a plastic bowl, the stop seems to stay put. I had a nice cream in a tube, but it burst :(

i change blades more often in my travel razor, where a blade will last 5 shaves at home, same make gets swapped at 3 in the travel razor, my travel razor is relatively mild, an old Gillette knack.

I prep with hot water and a facial scrub as part of my pre shave shower.

alum block post shave and then a splash, usually Tabac.

i actually do the same as everyone else,
squeeze it out, give it a shake then wipe it on a towel. then put it at the window but for me i feel i need to do this for two days to be sure,
saying that i might not used said brush for a few months, so just being ultra safe.
The bottom line is animal hair brushes won’t dry in a few hours so perhaps these are not ideal for the op.
but i guess it all depends on how often the travel is.
Traveling a few hours with a damp brush will have no adverse effect as long as it’s but upside down in a stand on arrival of destination

I have a synthetic travel brush, it can be dried out (mostly) on a towel before going into my kit bag.

soap is either a palmolive stick, or a small Arco puck in a plastic bowl, the stop seems to stay put. I had a nice cream in a tube, but it burst :(

i change blades more often in my travel razor, where a blade will last 5 shaves at home, same make gets swapped at 3 in the travel razor, my travel razor is relatively mild, an old Gillette knack.

I prep with hot water and a facial scrub as part of my pre shave shower.

alum block post shave and then a splash, usually Tabac.
Sounds like a good set up. I've ordered myself a syth now, waiting for it to arrive late this week. I am still searching for a cream. Has anyone tried Bluebeard's revenge? Seems to come in a good travel friendly pot.

i actually do the same as everyone else,
squeeze it out, give it a shake then wipe it on a towel. then put it at the window but for me i feel i need to do this for two days to be sure,
saying that i might not used said brush for a few months, so just being ultra safe.
The bottom line is animal hair brushes won’t dry in a few hours so perhaps these are not ideal for the op.
but i guess it all depends on how often the travel is.
Traveling a few hours with a damp brush will have no adverse effect as long as it’s but upside down in a stand on arrival of destination
Yes, animal hair brushes are fine for a few hours, but it's when I'm moving hotels every night for a week. Not sure I'd want a damp animal hair brush festering in a plastic pot for 8 hours a day for a week!

I will use a Cream brushlessly, and apply to the face. T&H No 10, Nivea Mild, RSC and Harry's have all been great. I am currently using the Nivea.
I've tried and never got on with any of the Nivea products, all of them seem to get me to flare up!

I'm afraid that just using warm water to shave in is better for my skin than the Nivea creams I've tried.

I am tempted to try Bluebeard's revenge, but have a Aloe Vera cream from Muhle on order for now.

I am tempted to try Bluebeard's revenge, but have a Aloe Vera cream from Muhle on order for now.
Potd-07-09-22.png

As for carrying creams safely - if you know anyone that uses cosmetics, ask them to save empty containers of an appropriate size. They tend to be very well constructed and leakproof. Small enough to go in hand luggage but big enough to carry enough for a couple of weeks. - cheers - I.

I've tried and never got on with any of the Nivea products, all of them seem to get me to flare up!

I'm afraid that just using warm water to shave in is better for my skin than the Nivea creams I've tried.

Which Nivea cream did you try?

Sounds like a good set up. I've ordered myself a syth now, waiting for it to arrive late this week. I am still searching for a cream. Has anyone tried Bluebeard's revenge? Seems to come in a good travel friendly pot.

Yes, animal hair brushes are fine for a few hours, but it's when I'm moving hotels every night for a week. Not sure I'd want a damp animal hair brush festering in a plastic pot for 8 hours a day for a week!
I travel a lot myself unfortunately
how often are you shaving ?
I genuinely think you’ll get away with using it & airing it,
i think most problems exist due to storing damp for periods of time.
Hopefully you find a solution

Back
Top Bottom