Travel Razor ID

Hi, last week I got on the bay a 4 piece travel razor in a metal box. The box is in a bad way, but the razor isn't too bad I guess. Here it is below

2011-08-07%25252016.17.14.jpg

2011-08-07%25252016.17.30.jpg

2011-08-07%25252016.18.08.jpg

Now, it has no marking at all on it, so my first question is does anyone have any idea who made it and around what year? Mainly out of curiosity.

My second question is that if it shaves well (its my first open comb) any ideas where I could get it re-plated and how much it would roughly be, and also if it was possible to re-plate and line the box as well so both are nice and shiny! Cheers

I've got the same razor and I have no clue who made it. I couldn't get the hang of the razor so I gave up after a couple of shaves.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2352

I also have one; they seem pretty crudely made and mine has no manufacturer's name on it which diminishes its appeal IMHO. I have never shaved with it. I have seen several in the past couple of years in collectables/antique shops. I would not have thought replating worthwhile but appearance would be improved no doubt.

monkeytennis said:
I think it shaves pretty ok really. Just quite like thought of it looking shiny.

Is the plating shot on it, or does it just need a good clean, try a long soak in hot water, then some foaming bathroom cleaner and a old tooth brush.
But these generic no name ones are quite common, so rather than re-plate might be better to wait for a decent one to come for sale.

Might try soaking it for a bit longer. Tried a toothbrush on it and that made a little bit of an improvement. But looking on ebay may be better getting a better nick one!

Back
Top Bottom