Tougher to find shaving items now

Hiya,

This is the sad time of the year when it comes to finding shaving items around here. Yeah, all during the summer there's various flea markets, antique shows, and garage sales to pick through. Those sources shut down during the colder months, making it slim pickens. Estate sales are year round, but those are very much a hit or miss kinda thing (mostly miss). Heh, I think most people toss old razors and stuff like that, thinking it's worthless crap that nobody would want to actually pay money for.

This morning I took a little drive to a large market (200+ dealers), mainly because it's the last meeting of the year and you never know what someone's gonna bring. Usually I have mediocre luck at best, but I was up early anyway.

The bad thing about living in the US is that I rarely ever see any Made in England razors. Man, some of those are great looking, but of course no one here would have ones like that.

The good news is I see lots of vintage USA made Gillettes.......much more than any of you guys would in those types of sales situations. All in all, I think I've got the better deal......heh.

This morning I came home with two fatboys, one cased and one by itself. Both are in nice shape, as is the case, and the total cost was well under $20. They came from two different sellers, which was pretty odd. Yeah, it was a fairly lucky (but chilly) day.

These sellers just don't take the time to research what that shaving 'crap' might be worth asking, so I'm actually dealing from strength here. I'm sure the sellers were happy to unload those silly old razors.

One tremendous part of this 'hobby' is the fact that this is a totally blind item to most people when it comes to asking price. Heh, I gotta admit that does tickle me.

Maybe a year ago I was browsing a conducted estate sale in a very nice neighborhood. There were pros handling the pricing and they ran the whole deal. Sometimes the prices are good and sometimes not, and sometimes you can bargain on the prices.

I got there a few hours after the sale started, and no telling how many people had wandered through before me. The good news is if there ARE any shaving items, they usually don't move fast. That was the case here, since a wonderful shaving brush was still there for me to snatch up.This one was NOS and still in the box. Sold by the Marshall Fields stores in the 1950s maybe, and possibly made by Coates or Simpson. From what I understand, this type of knot was called a 'whitecap', which makes sense.

There was no price on the box and so I took it over to a woman helping with the sale. Asked her how much, and I could see her trying to figure out what to charge for this obviousl;y worthless item. After about 10 seconds she says "That will be $10". Heh, I woulda maybe even paid $15 for the goofy thing.........

I'll include a pic just for the heck of it. Oh, for some reason,I guess I'm not able to post any more pictures for now.

Interesting post. I must ask my daughter in Dallas to take a look at what's out there.

Look at what she once found for me in Long Island, New York. I never did find out how the bell got there!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/2006/06/british-rail-in-new-york.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/2006/06/ ... -york.html</a><!-- m -->

But the good news for you is a british forum is a great place to swap your american razors for british ones. if you come across a toggle i will have some good english gillettes for you. :shave :hungrig

Fido said:
Interesting post. I must ask my daughter in Dallas to take a look at what's out there.

Look at what she once found for me in Long Island, New York. I never did find out how the bell got there!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/2006/06/british-rail-in-new-york.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/2006/06/ ... -york.html</a><!-- m -->

Hi Fido,

Nice bell......heh. You have any trouble getting the thing to work? I believe that needs an electrical converter of some kind to keep from blowing up when using your odd current over there.

Let's see...what would be good to ask your daugher for.........hmmm. Dallas eh? Oh, you're gonna want her to send out some large steer horns to mount on your library wall. All you guys have libraries don't you? Yep, the horns (larger the better) are a subtle room accent that goes with about any decor.

Martin

wow!..
If you think its tough by you finding shave gear..here in Los Angeles, California..either its retail store prices or online everything..including Ebay.. :shock:
I have lived here all my life and have yet to see any flea markets..less than an hour's drive at least but still..havn't seen any on the horizon
Blades

pedro083 said:
But the good news for you is a british forum is a great place to swap your american razors for british ones. if you come across a toggle i will have some good english gillettes for you. :shave :hungrig

Hi Pedro,

You know, I have a funny story about my Toggle. Yep, this was found a few years ago at that very same flea market I mentioned. The razor's in nice shape, especially after fixing the frozen adjuster dial...heh. I got lucky and a good soak did the trick nicely.

As you might imagine, it was very reasonably priced. It's actually the second one I've owned, having bought and sold one years ago. Yeah, I don't really care for the way those things shave. I bought this latest one hoping it might fit me better now. It doesn't........heh.

So I have a razor I never use, but also one I can't bring myself to sell. For reasons i won't go into, the Toggle isn't right for me. It's sad, but nothing I can do. Both of these have shaved exactly the same, so it's not cause one razor is off in some way. Heh, it's their nature.

So I'm sorry I can't let this particular razor go. Did I mention I never use this thing? Now what is up with that?

Martin

I know what you mean i have a darwin straight and dont think i have used it in the last 6 months as more i prefer but same again dont think i will ever part with it as never seen another. and love the look and how well it is made.

Blades said:
wow!..
If you think its tough by you finding shave gear..here in Los Angeles, California..either its retail store prices or online everything..including Ebay.. :shock:
I have lived here all my life and have yet to see any flea markets..less than an hour's drive at least but still..havn't seen any on the horizon
Blades

Hi there,

It's somewhat surprising to me that most antique stores will price the DE razors very reasonably. I've found some real treasures at retail stores for very little money. A big part of the pricing is the store's location.

Stores in certain parts of Chicago will have very aggressive pricing, but not so much in the suburbs and many other Chicago neighborhoods. Depends on where you look.

Martin

I had a good friend go out for the weekend to search for DE razors..all he found was a $4 razor :( ..everything else was priced $40+..and this is at flea markets and junk yard sales...strange?..personally its almost worth going on Ebay n looking there..I always hesitate to buy from there..who knows whatcha REALLY getting

Blades

Blades said:
I had a good friend go out for the weekend to search for DE razors..all he found was a $4 razor :( ..everything else was priced $40+..and this is at flea markets and junk yard sales...strange?..personally its almost worth going on Ebay n looking there..I always hesitate to buy from there..who knows whatcha REALLY getting

Blades

Man.......those prices are crazy. I can't recall ever seeing a $40 DE razor at any flea markets or yard sales. Sometimes the people running those small private sales don't even bother to put out any old DE razors they may have laying around. Yep, they're junk to most people, and I've found a few razors just by asking if there's any in the house.

There's a few antique stores that I'll stop into occasionally. Seems like they'll sometimes have an item I'll like, but it's nada more often than not. The pricing is always reasonable though, whenever something does come along. I've found some quite nice pieces for very little money......everything under $25. That will include things like a near mint cased Diplomat and a couple other gems. Fatboys and slims in good shape run me no more than $15 if I can find em.

I'm shocked to hear about your situation out there. I woulda never figured the pricing would be so different.

Martin

Yes sir!..the weather for this whole week into the weekend is gonna be in the late 70-early 80 degrees..24c-27c where I live in Los Angeles, California..but thats about it..great weather and pricey everything..litterally!... :lol:

Blades

Hiya,

I just remembered that you guys have something called 'Boot' sales. Yeah, I knew there was something similar to the garage or yard sales here. In a forum I used to frequent, a lot of members would go on about finding things. Sounded sorta weird, but what do I know.....

What led me to this goofy shaving 'hobby' was a post in an English watch forum. Heh, any of you members of TZ-UK? The British version isn't like the US one, and it's a good group. A member there posted a link to Michael's blog, and that was the beginning of the downward spiral into insanity.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

I just remembered that you guys have something called 'Boot' sales. Yeah, I knew there was something similar to the garage or yard sales here. In a forum I used to frequent, a lot of members would go on about finding things. Sounded sorta weird, but what do I know.....

What led me to this goofy shaving 'hobby' was a post in an English watch forum. Heh, any of you members of TZ-UK? The British version isn't like the US one, and it's a good group. A member there posted a link to Michael's blog, and that was the beginning of the downward spiral into insanity.

Martin

I have been known to go to a "Boot Sale" now and again....... ;)

Just as a word of encouragement to a young man Sunster , I'm quite sure that, as in most things in life, if you will just persevere you will someday be rewarded by a fine purchase or two.

JohnnyO. ;)

Back
Top Bottom