Toothbrushes/Dental Care

sj184 said:
Anyone chew sugar-free gum after eating or is it a waste of time?

I've been doing it religiously for year since I got my first filling at about age 14. Am 32 now and not had one since, obviously not only attributable to the gum but I certainly believe it helps and short of carrying a toothbrush everywhere you go is the next best alternative.

I use the Oral B 1 2 3 toothbrush - medium texture bristle and it works well for me. I floss with Oral B floss, and Boots normally have a 3 for 2 offer, and the Pound Shop sometimes sells it as well. I don't use any other brand because it either shreds, gets caught, or is just uncomfortable to use.

As for toothpaste - fluoride free ones - Vicco, Dabur, Miswak, Neem, Euthymol, Kingfisher, and Tom's of Maine, and one or two others. Dabur is now available in Wilkinsons, Vicco, Dabur, Miswak, and Neem from some Indian grocers, Euthymol from supermarkets, and Kingfisher and Tom's of Maine from Holland and Barrett.

Oh yes - Vicco also make shaving cream.

Tim B said:
As for toothpaste - fluoride free ones - Vicco, Dabur, Miswak, Neem, Euthymol, Kingfisher, and Tom's of Maine, and one or two others. Dabur is now available in Wilkinsons, Vicco, Dabur, Miswak, and Neem from some Indian grocers, Euthymol from supermarkets, and Kingfisher and Tom's of Maine from Holland and Barrett.

Oh yes - Vicco also make shaving cream.

What's up with fluoride - it's what does the hard work!

Oral-B Triumph 6000 Daily Deal offer today at £67.99 (at time of posting)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2U61FG/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_2227_123584f5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1QEDAQ3CP6FV06EME0TV&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=562712227

barberbob said:
Well after another visit to the dentist today I have come to an age where I can't take things for granted. So after been given a couple of months to get my gums and teeth in order before yet another visit I have decided that I now need the tech for my oral hygiene.

So can someone recommend me a toothbrush, electric or manual.

Mouthwashes and toothpastes, any better than others, I generally just buy what's on offer

Sensodyne all the way, for sensitive gums.

Been reading this as my old oral b brush gave up the ghost after almost 10 years. Money is tight so I opted for the cheaper oral b pro 600. It is a lot faster than its elder but seams to cut out during brushing. Am I pressing too hard I wonder. For less than £20 ot does a way better job than my old brush.

Jim

Please excuse me if I'm being a bit silly here Jim. I'm just not sure if your last brush, being about a decade old, had the feature most modern brushes have of " stuttering " every 30 seconds as an indication to move on to the next quarter of the mouth. And then stopping after 2 minutes. If you're already aware of this and the cutouts are caused by excessive pressure or even a defect plse just disregard me mentioning it.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

Ah that would explain it then, no I wasn't aware thanks Johnny. My last brush just spun at a low speed and you could just go for it lol. This new brush is way faster and is a big improvement.

Jim

Oral B & any Colgate would be fine.
Floss, brush, mouthwash, rinse.
Just make sure you gently hold the brush so that about 25-50% of the fibres overlap where the tooth meets the gum. You hardly need any pressure at all & after 10 or 15 seconds move on to the next tooth. Once you've done the outside, then do again from the inside. This is far better than the back & forth scrubbing action most people use, even with electrics.
Twice a day, from start to finish should only take 5 minutes & after a week or so any bleeding from the gums should have stopped.

Back
Top Bottom