too good to be true

antdad said:
The seller did a "Claire" (Jhclaire) by cancelling and refunding you for auction you won, you complain, seller lists again but this time BIN so you can purchase again as some sort of compensation? Is that how it went?

I won,he refunded me and appologized and said if I'm not happy I can write to ebay,so I did,just waiting to hear from ebay

Professor Blighty said:
The seller is responsible for his own listing, period.

If you complain to ebay they do take this sort of thing seriously, they cannot force the seller to honour the contract, especially after he has refunded, but they will issue a warning to him that he is in breech of the selling policies. If he continues to do that he will be excluded from the ebay community.

The seller has 500+ feedback, and therefore cannot argue he is a newbie and didn't understand. You should be able to still leave him negative if you wish, although that won't bring the item back to you either.

I would contact him and explain that you are going to make an official complaint as well as leaving him negative feedback as a warning to other potential customers that he may not honour the listing, give him say, 10 days to make good. You will have a further 20 days after that to instigate a complaint if you wish.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the info professor,he said he made a mistake but that's just not good enough,he's happy with me complaining to ebay,so I did and left him a lovely negative,however I very much doubt that ebay is gonna make him send me the razor for that price

Jeltz said:
I understand the situation but you learn from your mistakes. He entered into a contract with James, whether it was an error or not doesn't matter he made an offer which James took up.

If you make a mistake like that its basically tough luck and you'll learn to be more careful next time. You can't just back pedal, its breach of contract.

well said jeltz :idea:

PeterFranks said:
I agree with Yellow Jim's reasoning.

At least the seller admitted his mistake and didn't make up some excuse along the lines of "I've mislaid the item"

However if I was the seller I would honour the deal. It's his mistake.

If I was the seller althought it would have been a loss,I would have stood up by my word and honoured the sale,no room for mistakes once you go live advertising goods

Damian Murphy said:
I'm not a lawyer but I suspect what happened here falls under the definition of a unilateral mistake in contract law.

I didn't think that counted with eBay as after you list your item it gives you a review page before a final confirmation.

James_uk said:
Jeltz said:
I understand the situation but you learn from your mistakes. He entered into a contract with James, whether it was an error or not doesn't matter he made an offer which James took up.

If you make a mistake like that its basically tough luck and you'll learn to be more careful next time. You can't just back pedal, its breach of contract.

well said jeltz :idea:

Agreed with that, id be seriously pissed off about the re-list and price. :evil: especially as you won the bid with a fiver.

Ids said:
Damian Murphy said:
I'm not a lawyer but I suspect what happened here falls under the definition of a unilateral mistake in contract law.

I didn't think that counted with eBay as after you list your item it gives you a review page before a final confirmation.

Quite. The seller had the opportunity to review the listing, and seems to be an experienced Ebay user. Being thick isn't much of a defence.

Back
Top Bottom