TOBS Jermyn Street Soap?

How does this compare to TOBS Sandalwood soap? I assume it's made differently being a sensitive soap? or is that just the cream?

I've got TOBS Sandalwood soap which i like using, but i prefer the smell of Jermyn Street currently (using the cream).

Thanks
Steve

A shaving soap with a good skin care and also a wonderful scent.I have the sandalwood,the old Lavander one,I have tried a refill of the Lavander (different formulation than old lavender) and this one,and they're all good performers.

I can only compare it to the sandalwood stick, of theirs.

The Jermyn Street lathers as well as anything in my collection, I think. Clean soapy smell, not very pronounced.

The sandalwood stick doesn't. It's ok, don't get me wrong; smells nice, works fine, but it's good rather than great in lather terms.

And, as already remarked, the soap has a hip black bowl. Bonus. I'll replace it when it runs out, and I probably won't with the stick.

Dr Rick said:
I can only compare it to the sandalwood stick, of theirs.

The Jermyn Street lathers as well as anything in my collection, I think. Clean soapy smell, not very pronounced.

The sandalwood stick doesn't. It's ok, don't get me wrong; smells nice, works fine, but it's good rather than great in lather terms.

And, as already remarked, the soap has a hip black bowl. Bonus. I'll replace it when it runs out, and I probably won't with the stick.

Dr Rick, the puck and the stick are totally difference formulations so it would explain your thoughts.

Teiste did a good write up on the stick.

Dr Rick said:

So is that true of all TOBS sticks or are some of them as good as the bowl soaps?

The stick Sandalwood "soap" is kind of tricky to lather.When you read its formulation looks like more a shaving cream than a shaving soap,but lathers better with a drier brush,and adding water drop by drop.I find the shaving soap to be a better performer,but the stick is a good one.

My Jermyn Street Soap arrived today, just had a shave with it, i like it.

I'm quite new to hard soaps, but i think it did lather up a bit easier than my Sandalwood soap.

I much prefer Jermyn Street scent though, i've got the cream, aftershave cream, aftershave lotion (sample), cologne and now the soap.

i think i might sell/trade my TOBS sandalwood soap and aftershave gel at some point, as i probably wont use it again.

Trying to get sorted out before the month ends with everything I'll need in the line of shaving gear for next year (fingers crossed) I was placing an order today and included Jermyn Street soap on the strength of this thread!

The matching cream is excellent so I reckon this soap has to be worth trying, too. I don't have a great deal of variety on my soap/cream shelf due to only using unscented or sensitive products so this will hopefully give me some more options with my überlathers.

Thanks to the previous posters for their thoughts... :)

Mark

ajc347 said:
You've made a good choice Mark - it's one of the best soaps out there.

Thanks, mate.

Maybe this should be in another thread but I also bought some Institut Karite Shaving Soap. Does anyone have an opinion on it? Although not too well known compared to the usual big hitters, Institut Karite is supposed be a great latherer and very moisturising. It has shea butter which I love!

On a related side-note, I thought that I still had a couple of pucks of Fitjar Shea Pleasure soap sitting in the cupboard but they were boxes of cream when I looked closer - I've foolishly moved on all my Fitjar soap :blush:

This gives me three soaps and three cream varieties to mix up in my überlathers.

A great end to the year... :)

Mark

Institut Karite is a great soap as well Mark.

Sounds like you've made another good choice. :)

How do you find the Fitjar creams perform compared with other creams?

ajc347 said:
Institut Karite is a great soap as well Mark.
How do you find the Fitjar creams perform compared with other creams?

Great to hear about another happy Institut Karite user :)

About the Fitjar.... The only version of their creams I've used is the Shea Pleasure. It has been very good, giving me lather which is both slick and cushioning. I would recommend it, no worries.

I used to shave with it on it's own but now I always mix up with soap and a little glycerin.

My other creams are Simpsons Luxury and TOBS Jermyn Street. To be honest there's not much to choose from in performance between these three. All of them give me a good lather and no irritations or dry skin afterwards so I'm happy to change them around as I fancy - with MWF or Fitjar Shea Pleasure soaps and, later, I'll be trying them with the Jermyn Street and Institut Karite soaps too.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom