TOBS Jermyn Street Sensitive Cream

This is the stuff:

sensitive-skin-shaving-cream-bowl-from-taylor-old-bond-street-720-p.jpg

Well, I've had this stuff for just under a month now and feel it's time to reflect upon it's performance.

I'm unfortunate enough to have extremely sensitive skin, it's extremely hard for me to achieve any kind of shave without some level of redness and irritation, regardless of what I use. Recently, palmolive cream, which is a superb budget benchmark had been performing well. A birthday meant that this fell in my lap.

Scent: Gorgeous subtle and masculine smell. It's fresh, and crisp, lingers around for a little while too. It perks up any sleepy morning.

Latherability: It takes very little effort, skill or patience to make this stuff explode into a lovely rich lather. Im a face latherer (because I dont have the time or inclination to do otherwise). A wet brush, shaken once or twice till its wet but not soaking, a finger tip sized dod of the cream applied to the top of the brush, and applied to face, results in massive lather, very smooth, thick and protective. It provides great razor glide.

Irritation: absolutely none on the back of this cream, my face is left feeling smooth, relaxed and with absolutely no pain at all. Combined with my recent move to an Edwin Jagger DE87 razor, and Gillette blades. I'm now achieving the smoothest and most pleasant shaves I've ever had. Enough so, that I can now shave in the morning before work. Something my skin would NEVER tolerate before.

WOuld be very interested to hear peoples experience with this cream, and if they can recommend others that are very like it in capability. The T&H extreme comfort sounds interesting.

I've got this one, I my memory serves me right it was a PIF from someone here, I absolutely love it too.
You're right about latherability, that why I started with something like this, since I was bad at making good lather.

Not sure about other stuff to try, have you tried any of the in house soap makers? (Henk & Sharon and the new arrivals..)
They use natural ingredients, which might help..

Max

right now i'm enjoying this so much, its hard to see past it. It gives me the best shaves i've ever had, and see little reason to change.

I have a tube of the Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera on the way, it was for someone else, but i'm likely just going to keep it and try it myself. Will see how it performs. But I think i'll keep coming back to the TOBS stuff. It's just so good :)

FrenchBlade said:
I've got this one, I my memory serves me right it was a PIF from someone here, I absolutely love it too.
You're right about latherability, that why I started with something like this, since I was bad at making good lather.

Not sure about other stuff to try, have you tried any of the in house soap makers? (Henk & Sharon and the new arrivals..)
They use natural ingredients, which might help..

Max

That cream was from me max

Sharons stuff is superb. So creamy and very very VERY protective !

I have a jar of hanks coming soon though to test out. Sharing is the best stuff I have ever used

well to make things clearer... i got the new edwin jagger razor first, and found it improved matters slightly over my old merkur. better shaves overall. The cream added to this just made for a superb combination.

Have tried quite a good few soaps and creams over the last few years, and definitely have a favourite in this one.

hehe..I never liked my Merkur 33c..other an with a "Swede"..and they all gone!... :lol:

So far I very much like my Dorko Titanium coated blades with my 54' SS FlairTip
But I have have MANY more variable blades left to choose from :shave
Sometimes you need to add a bit more water than you realize to get not only a white coating but a "slick" one as well

Good Luck!
Blades

well... month or so on from when i first got this stuff. Still totally adore it. Its now my utter go-to cream, for when i want a smooth, comfortable and great smelling shave. I tried a few others:

-TOBS lavender (smell is too strong for me, and didnt like the solidity of its lather)
-Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera (not a bad performer, but almost no smell, and not quite as thick a lather as the jermyn)

In the end, I went straight back to the good old TOBS sensitive pot. Will probably keep it that way for some time. At the rate I use my cream, that pot will last me absolutely ages.

hoping to try the T&H ultimate comfort cream for x-mas

Don't know if you've tried any of the major players in Glycerine soaps Shrink, they work exceptionally well for me, however since the thickness and cushioning of the TOBS cream lather seems to be a major factor in your skin comfort they may lack that density of lather you're getting. In years gone by I got good results from Trumper's creams and soaps in terms of non skin irritation. Violet soap in particular was very soothing, which may well have been related to my own specific skin probs.

On the other hand, I can well appreciate what you say in regards to sticking with a cream / soap when you've found a nice one. Enjoy !!!

JohnnyO. \ :D

Thanks for posting the info.

I too suffered from sensitive skin but changing to DE shaving has cleared most of the problems up. Luckily all the creams and soaps i've tried have not affected me and believe me i have tried a hell of a lot in the small space of time :lol:

I am due to go on a Xmas drink into the West End of London over the festive period and this creram may well be on THE list.

every little helps with my skin, and its been a struggle to find a way to shave that doesnt drive it nuts. But i'm pretty much there now :)

this cream will likely be replaced with another exactly like it

shrink said:
every little helps with my skin, and its been a struggle to find a way to shave that doesnt drive it nuts. But i'm pretty much there now :)

this cream will likely be replaced with another exactly like it

Hi Shrink,

The T&H Ultimate Comfort is a really good cream, having tried numerous Taylors creams i've found this to be far superior in every way.

I just tried this cream as my birthday is imminent and a shop where my girlfriend lives by chance has started stocking some TOBS offerings (sadly no other cream or any DE stuff of any kind, but wasn't even expecting these).
I bought myself this at 150g for £8.95, which I think is probably fair (?) and also the almond (not tried yet but if it doesn't shave well I could eat it, it smells so good).

Anyway, the jermyn street sensitive cream is lovely. Great texture and lather from only a small amount. The smell is oddly familiar but no idea where from. To me it reminds me of a good quality hair gel and I think I can pick out a faint Apple and cinnamon smell???? Very nice anyway, although not as tempted to eat this as I am the almond

I've just tried a small tube of this - to me the aroma was nicer from the tube than in lathered form (the lather had a hint of PVA glue to my nose). I'd agree with the easy latherability, however it had the same effect for me as the Sandalwood I used before - by the third pass, it seems to leave my skin dry and a touch sticky so that, even though the lather itself has great lubrication, I find the blade doesn't seem to glide as well as with other creams. Possibly TOBS creams just aren't for me.

Back
Top Bottom