To replate or not to replate?

Looking for opinion on what's more feasible:
  1. To send my existing razor to replate
  2. Buy an already replated razor

What you get:
- if I send my own razor, simply theoretically, I know the razor so I know the original state and, again simply theoretically, I know what I'll get back
- if I buy a new razor I risk... what?

Considering postage, cca 20 EUR there, 20 EUR back plus the work, let's say 60 EUR. That's 100 EUR to the original price. Or I buy a razor already replated for 150 USD.

I suppose it depends were you get it plated and what material. Postage to Dave at safetyrazors.co.uk for nickel plating won't run you 20 EUR and if I remember correctly it cost me £25 to have two Fatboys done (it was £15 for one).

The option I'd go for is to enjoy using my unrestored razor and let it grow old gracefully. But if that's not your wish, surely you'd get better value by buying another razor in your preferred condition? What razor is it?

Im thinking about replating my Fatboy. It's very dull and under the adjustment mechanism there is a 1mm o so gap that is pretty yellow. I guess I'm worried it'll get lost in the post

tritrek said:
Ah I have a Fatboy and a Slim Adjustable I wanted to replate in chromium or rhodium... right now they're covered in "dullium" :D

Hi there,

It looks as though you're interested in a replating job partially for the look of chrome or rhodium, rather than replating in the original nickle. If that's what you want, I can tell you there IS a difference between those two metals and how they look on a razor. I had a razor plated in each, and the rhodium one (fatboy) looked nicer to me. It's a white/silver kinda thing, and it definitely has more shine than the nickle does. Very pretty finish.

Personally I'd have one I knew and liked replated, rather than buy one already done. Not all Fatboys and Slims shave the same.......that's for sure. You buy from someone else and who knows, you might get a razor with an uneven blade gap.

Not only that, but what if the plating starts to fade or wear off quicker than it should. What kind of recourse would you have, if any.

I'd think chrome would also look good also, but no idea about price or how that wears.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Well, as I do replating, you may think I'll say REPLATE!

My view is - if a razor is in good mechanical condition and you like it as a shaver, then I'd suggest replating. If you don't get a good shave from it, either replate it and sell, or sell as it is.

You mention Chrome or Rhodium (and not nickel) but most vintage razors are actually plated with Bright Nickel and not Chrome. Chrome is a two-stage process. Nickel plating first then a coat of Chrome (which is harder but to me looks colder than nickel)

The only vintage razor I know that was Chrome plated is an Eclipse Red Ring

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom