Time to bang around with the guns again

Hiya,

Can't say I'm a hunter, but I do like to shoot guns now and then. I have mostly pistols, but other friends of mine have rifles as well. Here in Chicago, there's not a lot of open space, so a few years ago the city decided to make some neighborhoods 'gun friendly'. Yep. you can tell where those areas are located by the sound in the distance, and there's detours you can take if you don't wanna drive through and maybe even participate.

Anyway, the first week of December is when I go and kill stuff. Yeah, it's the only time I can justify doing that because of how compelling the reason is.

Illinois is made up of lots of 'counties'. Chicago is just a part of Cook County, which also includes a bunch of suburbs. Some counties are huge and some are lots smaller. There's one county in downstate (southern) Illinois that's known for having trophy size specimens to hunt, and I make the three hour drive gladly every year.

Oh jeeez, I see I haven't mentioned what the animal......sheesh. Sorry, thought I already said it's Squeasel Season! Yep, a one week window to blow the hell outta them squeasels. Talk about fun........whoosh doggies it's a riot.

As you may have guessed, these luscious things are a cross between a squirrel and a weasel. That's right, you get the intense gaminess of the squirrel, and the incredible toughness of the lovable weasel. No need to even cook it if you're in the field and hungry. Yes, it's that good.

Seeing as how these are sorta small animal, we all like to use big bullets. That way, the odds of hitting something are better. Standard weapon of choice is either a 10 gauge shotgun loaded with BBs, or a nice fat deer slug will also do the trick. Yes, we are a humane bunch, and also Jews are usually lousy shots. Actually, that's not really true. You guys ever hear of the Purple Gang before? Now that's an interesting bunch of Chosen Ones.

Ohhhhh, it's gonna be fun,

Martin

I favour the 12 bore myself and partake each month in clubs clay shoot over the marsh. I favour the Aya despite it being old and quite battered as the recoil is minimal and the aim is superb. Oddly my wife grew up on a farm and is very competent with a firearm, but hates me having one a passion.

My friend has a range of semi-automatic rifles and a couple of hand guns, but they dont really float my boat. I find for sheer destructive power when the Zombies attack you cant beat some 24 shot at close range.

Martin, if you want to shoot at small creatures, come over here and take out a few grey squirrels. Some idiot way back when decided to import your (grey) squirrel to the UK, whereupon it made our native red squirrel into a rare species. They're clinging on in a few locations, but there's a big effort going on to try and save them.

Father Ted said:
My friend has a range of semi-automatic rifles and a couple of hand guns, but they dont really float my boat. I find for sheer destructive power when the Zombies attack you cant beat some 24 shot at close range.

What's doin Marty,

Yeah, I agree with you about shooting larger targets like Zombies....LOTS of smaller bullets are fine for the job. Easier to hit those kinda objects.

Excellent post......thank you

Dodgy

Oh yeah, I decided to edit this post and I removed Welsh guys from the list. Yeah, hissingskunk asked me to include that odd group, but I decided it might be taken the wrong way.

I don't hunt, but I love shooting, a nice glock 9mm gives me good kicks, and so does a S&W .45, it's mighty fun ;)

I own a vintage sports rifle with aperture sight, I shoot on 25Match targets from 50m with 22LR. (aperture sights don't magnify as they have no optics).

It's a bloody heavy rifle, but it does the job ;)

Licensing for handguns is just too much hassle for me, so I play in the countryside with my friends 9mm (he's licensed and is in a special police unit on call 24/7, and thus carries 24/7, which is very rare in France).

I have a female friend, who you'd never expect to be hunting, because she looks like a 25yo 'perfect princess', except when she goes out in the woods she hunts wild boar and other game, it's funny to see two very different sides of her.

Max

A relic from my mother's antique shop and two reminders of my last visit to Texas:

Guns.jpg

Fido said:
A relic from my mother's antique shop and two reminders of my last visit to Texas:

Guns.jpg

Howdee, British Buckaroo,

Ohhhhh, that piece on the right is very nice. Whatchu got there is what's known as a 'Texas Derringer', a very popular gun for easy concealment.

Yep, it fits in a shirt pocket without a problem, and the light weight (just under 11 pounds) makes you forget it's even being carried. Small caliber (44 Magnum) by Texas standards, but still effective at killing a jackelope at 50 feet. I suppose it would also be ok for squeasel shooting if it was modified to full auto with a large clip added.

Glad to help with some US history,

Martin

Hey, don't we have a member from Texas here somewhere? Yeah, maybe C.D. will post something.....

It that time of the year to acquire a few deer antlers. May be we can trade for Finished Brushes!
Had a friend who use to asked hunters for Deer Testicles. He would freeze them and later take them to a Chinese restaurant where he would give them to the owner In trade for meals and drink. The owner said that he sent them off to New York City to be used in traditional medicine.

Back
Top Bottom