Thinking of trying this.......

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/blade-razor.html#a65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... r.html#a65</a><!-- m -->

and was wondering if it would be in any way a reasonable introduction to straight shaving. I really don't want the hassle of having to buy loads of new kit and get razors honed and sorted after I've made a mess of them. I really only want a taste of it on days off when I have time alone.

Your opinions, as always are welcomed....

Thanks

They do work but are very unforgiving a real straight is a lot more forgiving belive it or not. The sharp edges at the end of the de blades have a habit of biting you. Which makes one of these a steeper learning curve than a real straight. I started with one of these but do wish i had went straight to a real straight as had to re-learn everything when i went to a straight as slightly diffrent technique needed

Yep, if you can't be bothered with the hassle then it really isn't an introduction to straight shaving.

I've not tried this particular model but using a shavette in comparison is like trying to learn to ride a bike by learning on a unicycle first , it's more difficult, less forgiving and much more likely to put you off.

I'd avoid it, there is an on line vendor that sell very reasonable shave ready straights that aren't cosmetically the best. Andy knows.

Tony possibly means Trey Dampier, but I think he's ceased trading, temporarily I hope. If you turn up a dowdy razor with no flaws at a boot sale or in a junk shop, I'm sure Neil would be happy to get it into shaving fettle for you without performing his restoration magic.

Larry Andro's might be worth a look. You could pick up a shave ready straight, a bit of leather and some pasted wood strops for $30-40. Might not be the prettiest kit but he does put a nice edge on the razor.

If you get on with it, go visit Neil at Strop Shop and get some nice kit.

Nigel, you can borrow one of me. Hell you can borrow a strop aswell (a crappy one, that it doesn´t mater if you nick it, I allready done that for you :lol: ). Larry is a cool dude though, crazy texan in a good way. Neil is da man though, for me at least, but Larry is cheap (if you want a piece of leather and a straight with a good edge) :mrgreen: . But then again, if you ask Neil, I´m sure he has a couple of good starter blades that´s not on his site ... You only need to pay shipping if you go with me ...

Back
Top Bottom