The worlds finest shoe & boot makers

I thought this may be of interest to the shoe and boot enthusiast on TSR and there are quite a few, I i've known about John Lobb for many years, I just like looking and dreaming what if I could afford a pair, well Jamie dream on, when you consider a pair of shoes start at £2700 then you understand, well check out the link to the shop and have a gander.

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/main/main.htm

Jamie.

for similar level of craftsmanship without the price tag.. look for Edward Greens.

They can hit the same levels as JL.. but tend to start just below the £1000 mark.

However if i was going to spend £2700 on shoes.. i'd rather go for a pair of cleverly Bespoke shoes. Made to measure from the ground up. I'd never spend more than £1000 on a pair of off the peg shoes, and even this figure is stretching things a little.

I have to tell you, like many of us I really enjoy my boots and shoes. My favourites are my Lucchese boots, my brogue lace-up Loakes boots (English made) and my Clarks Wallabees. None of them are cheap by any means but when I read about shoes starting at 2700 pounds I have to ask what is so special? There's only so much you can do to leather. There's only so much handmade in a pair of shoes. I know they measure your feet and make the models to match so you can order at any time however there's only so much comfort in a pair of shoes. Are they using leather from endangered species? Is it mammoth leather? This is ridiculous when you look at their boot "pulls". Over 100 pounds for a pair of wooden handled wire "pulls" you use to pull the damn boots on. You can go to a hardware store and use a scrap piece of wood to make your own for under $10.

I like the best when I can afford it but this is so far outside the pale it hurts my head to think of it. It's like the $100,000 razor, I'm sure someones' bought it...but WTF for? Even if I could afford them I know I wouldn't buy them because I cannot see the value...they're shoes. My Lucchese boots are $300 a pair for the ones I like and it takes them 3 months to make them for me. They use exotic leathers such as caiman, ostrich etc but the price goes up accordingly... but still not close to $4000 for a pair of shoes.

Sorry for the rant but the 798 pounds for felt bath slippers sent me over the edge. I hope you all enjoy your evening, I'm off to rest my head and dream of excellent footwear, reasonably priced.

What a load of pretentious cobblers, and I thought I went overboard with Grensons.

£3k for a pair of Daisy's?

Obscene.

It's all about bragging rights in my opinion, I appreciate well made shoes but 3k is ridiculous.

Johnus said:
There's a whole world out there that we don't know about.... And THEY don't want us to!!!

Just cause of previous occupations I know about it .................. just don't really get it. But then I'm grateful that my body works & I can see straight; now if only my mind would work straight !!

Johnnyo. \:blush:

To johnnyo , not the shoes, the money. There's a level of people out there now who think nothing of spending that amount on a pair of shoes or boots. The poorer we get, the richer they get. Look at the bonuses that the bankers and the brokers received when the rest of us were worried about just buying fuel for our houses and cars.

antdad said:
Huck, you don't pay VAT outside the EU.

Absolutely correct...however I do pay GST plus a provincial sales tax which adds approx 10% to the total. Imagine having to pay another 79 quid plus shipping on top of the 798 pounds for the slippers?

Re: RE: The worlds finest shoe & boot makers

huck1680 said:
antdad said:
Huck, you don't pay VAT outside the EU.

Absolutely correct...however I do pay GST plus a provincial sales tax which adds approx 10% to the total. Imagine having to pay another 79 quid plus shipping on top of the 798 pounds for the slippers?

Imagine your GST/PST came to 20% then you'd be in our world (25% in Mikael's world)

Back
Top Bottom