The Venerable Edwin Jagger DE89

The DE89/R89 is not as intuitive to use, especially for a beginner, as a Gillette Tech. As well, it was not innovative in that it merely copied a basic Merkur. EJ put lipstick on the pig with a fancy chrome job and the Brits went....

9g9rEGT.gif

... but with much better dress sense.

The DE89/R89 is not as intuitive to use, especially for a beginner, as a Gillette Tech. As well, it was not innovative in that it merely copied a basic Merkur. EJ put lipstick on the pig with a fancy chrome job and the Brits went....

9g9rEGT.gif
Mod edit - original somewhat offensive reply replace with:

I do not agree!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a DE89 'clone' that is just a pleasant little razor. I actually bought two of them, mostly for the handles. They shaved so comfortably I just kept using them. I don't know how close to an actual DE89 they are, but I think at some point I'll buy the real deal and compare.

I have a DE89 'clone' that is just a pleasant little razor. I actually bought two of them, mostly for the handles. They shaved so comfortably I just kept using them. I don't know how close to an actual DE89 they are, but I think at some point I'll buy the real deal and compare.

I have had a couple of clones ... in fact "a few" ... including a no-brand, a Haryali and an EXJ (not Edwin X Jagger!) which the Haryali was about the closest. The EXJ had a crap finish and the no-brand was just more aggressive (or less well made if you see it that way) but had a very acceptable face-feel to me. The proper ones are perhaps lighter, even. Dunno. Time to get my scales out.

PJGH and i have discussed in another thread how the King C Gillette razor is a very well made R89 variant and shaves impressively smoothly.

Have been using mine for several weeks now, initially with included KCG blades, but recently with Astra SP (RUS) and is a damm fine and smooth razor is the KCG - i rate it slightly above my much-loved DE89

PJGH and i have discussed in another thread how the King C Gillette razor is a very well made R89 variant and shaves impressively smoothly.
Isn't the King C. Gillette razor's base plate a lot closer to a Merkur one than to an EJ one in terms of general design?

9g9rEGT.gif
Disagree anlmost entirely. My experience was the very opposite and whilst I now like the Tech, the ‘89 is superior as regards quality of shave and ease of use. The first DE razor to provide the results I wanted and from the moment I started shaving, it just felt right. Your mileage clearly varies but believe it or not, I’m naturally drawn to vintage razors like the Tech and Rocket HD and would much rather they out-performed the ‘89 however, for me alas, they don’t. That said, I’d throw out the recommendation of a Tech to anyone. It might just be the only razor anyone needs but it ain’t my favourite.

Last edited:
I would say just get a Timor and be done with it…

… except, reading these posts has left me with something of an unscratchable EJ 89 itch. Such funky colours in the handles… but the 3D is really floating my boat and probably a good match for my gnarly hands.

The DE89 was my first DE razor. I sold it in my quest for the perfect vintage razor… which I sold in my quest for the perfect SS razor.

I would say just get a Timor and be done with it…

… except, reading these posts has left me with something of an unscratchable EJ 89 itch. Such funky colours in the handles… but the 3D is really floating my boat and probably a good match for my gnarly hands.

The DE89 was my first DE razor. I sold it in my quest for the perfect vintage razor… which I sold in my quest for the perfect SS razor.
They do sell the head by itself as well, and it should fit a Timor handle just fine.

I won a R89 from a mantic competition. I don't recall the EJ 89 being out then. I was using a Merkur futur before that and almost gave up DE shaving. The R89 was a revelation to me. However, these days, I favour the Merkur 34.
Do we think the Muhle / Edwin Jagger collaboration only exists because someone on a forum once said it did, therefor we all assume it did. I understood the collab just to be in the design, not the manufacture of the heads.
Personally I would like to see an 89 in stainless. I'd be straight in.
I've always thought the same.

I've got a DE89 head I need to give a run out tomorrow after reading all this praise. I've got a clone head as well and always found both of them very smooth and safe but way too mild for me. I find a tech more aggressive. I end up needing to make more passes and to apply a little pressure so then I sometimes get irritation or don't get close enough. I must be doing something wrong so I'll have a shot tomorrow paying closer attention to the angle.

Tempting, drifted back in to shaving a bit more and considering adding a razor. First thread I sit and read is this one, could be fate! I have a Gillette King C somewhere and it was a nice razor, maybe just needed a bit more bite for me though.

Interesting read, thanks all for the inputs for a newbie to catch up on

It's a great daily razor, but I'd like it a tiny bit more aggressive.

I bought the Executive Shaving Braveheart head, and whilst I love the audible feedback during the shave, that head is a lot less smooth and only slightly more aggressive than the EJ original.

I tend to go for a Merkur HD 34C over the DE89 for a daily. That or my 1942 Canada Tech with the triangular slots.

Back
Top Bottom