The ultimate all-around collection?

Hey ladies,
I know people have the tendency to collect stuff to the craziest extent, we've all been through (or are in :D) different *ADs (RAD, SRAD, SCAD, ......) and so a question rose in my little head: what would be an allrounder collection of DE razors? I mean, to have closed and open combs, TTOs, 3-piece-razors, slant-bars, etc... what would be the ultimate collection?
I know one could buy a zillion of DE razors, but what if someone only wanted to try all the DE shaves and own them, the best representatives?

What about:
- 3-piece closed comb: Gillette Tech
- 3-piece open comb: ..
- 2 piece closed comb: EJ 89L or Merkur 34C...
- 2 piece open comb: ...
- TTO: Gillette SS or Fatboy
- Slant-bar: Merkur Slant Bar
.....???

Not all DEs, but a close representation of the different things that can be had out there:

2zAUE.jpg

Top row: SuperSlim Gold, Aristocrat Adjustabe (slim), US Aristocrat, Milord, Gold fat handle Tech, Valet Autostrop
Bottom row: Rhodium TV Rocket, Red Tip Super Speed, Blue Tip SuperSpeed, New Improved, Gibbs Adjustable, Rolls Razor.

A few more needed, but got most bases covered with these...

Max

FrenchBlade said:
Not all DEs, but a close representation of the different things that can be had out there:

2zAUE.jpg

Top row: SuperSlim Gold, Aristocrat Adjustabe (slim), US Aristocrat, Milord, Gold fat handle Tech, Valet Autostrop
Bottom row: Rhodium TV Rocket, Red Tip Super Speed, Blue Tip SuperSpeed, New Improved, Gibbs Adjustable, Rolls Razor.

A few more needed, but got most bases covered with these...

Max

Max what's the razor between the New improved and Gibbs adjustable?

FrenchBlade said:
1963 (I4) NOS Alu handled tech
uxTKg.jpg

Max

I´ve got one of those, NOS without case, but it has no date code only "Made in England" under and "Gillette" on top of the head and besides "Made in England". It would be sweet if it was from 1963 though, that was a good year :D

Hi Max,

Sigh, I wish you didn't live so damn far. I've been wanting to try a Gibbs for a while now, and would be happy to offer you something equally exotic if you'd let me test drive that thing. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of French DE razors around here. Heh, I do have one treasure though.

The other razor I'd like to sample is a Mikron. Oh yeah, and an Eclipse........sheeesh.

I've shaved with many of the razors in your pic, but I admit to having a small Gibbs adjustable attraction. Is that wrong?

Thanks for posting the group pic,

Martin

I'm not much into vintage razors, so my ideal collection would differ to a lot of other members I'd imagine. I only see a select few as my ideal list.

For me I'm nearly there I think, but I'll be happy with:

1 x vintage TTO. (Already owned)
1 x modern short handle 2 piece (Already owned)
1 x modern classic 3 piece (Already owned)
1 x long handle (Already owned)
And....
1 x vintage fixed head. (Probably a ball end tech, me like a lot, it has to be my next purchase).
1 x vintage travel razor.
1 x slant bar, probably the Merkur.

Seven. That'll do me I think. :D

Canuck said:
I'm not much into vintage razors, so my ideal collection would differ to a lot of other members I'd imagine. I only see a select few as my ideal list.
1 x vintage fixed head. (Probably a ball end tech, me like a lot, it has to be my next purchase).

Well, maybe we could do a trade? I´ve got a NOS Made in England ball en tech ... Maybe a nice soap? Edited: Sorry, didn´t read careful enough, not fixed head, it´s a three piece :cry:

Attachments

• Gillette knob.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 38
  • Gillette knob Tech (640x480).jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 38
^^ No no Mikael, it's my mistake entirely. I'll clarify: When I say vintage fixed head, I meant any vintage other than a TTO model. A 3 piece would be very nice, and your example looks beautiful. I'll see what I can come up with.

Everyone should try a Tech, I sold all of mine except one. A battered 1940's Fat Handle Flat Base British Tech, small, mows down my bristles with ease. No irritation, nicks in fact a very competent razor. Looks like sh*te but would I ever part with it........no chance...... :D
Beware though not all Techs are the same........ ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom