The story so far:

Well here we go, this is my collection so far, I would welcome comments on my acquisitions so far and in particular on my choice of Razor and blades.

Currently:

Chrome Razor And Brush Shaving Stand (Pricey but Nicey)
Geo F Trumper Soft Shaving Cream (So nice I considered eating it) :lol:
Tabac Original Shaving Soap (Lathers so well, it's more like a cream)
Edwin Jagger Badger brush (No complaints)

Due to be delivered tomorrow:

Muhle R89 Closed Comb Razor
Personna Red and Derby blades
Proraso Shaving Soap
Cyril R Salter Styptic Pencil :shock:

I like an alum block to use after a shave, I would also recommend the Proraso cream/soap so good choice there, the after shave is a bargain too.Looks like you have a great starting point

Chrome Razor And Brush Shaving Stand (Pricey but Nicey) - Which one?
Geo F Trumper Soft Shaving Cream (So nice I considered eating it) :lol: - I like most of the Trumpers creams, one of the three T''s (Trumpers, Truefitt & Hill and Tsaylors) their creams are all pretty much on a par with each other. All have nice scents and are easy to lather.
Tabac Original Shaving Soap (Lathers so well, it's more like a cream) - Love the stuff, if you like the scent it is a stellar soap and great value.
Edwin Jagger Badger brush (No complaints) - best or super? again good both solid performers, the first brush I got was an EJ best but got used intensively for years and now sheds like a dog. Much prefer my other brushes now but you can't go wrong with the EJ to start with.

Due to be delivered tomorrow:

Muhle R89 Closed Comb Razor - Nice choice, hard to say how it will be for you without knowing what your chrome razor is.
Personna Red and Derby blades - Red Personnas are very good especially in the Muhle / EJ heads, not so much a fan of the Derby blades myself.
Proraso Shaving Soap - Green tub? Excellent menthol goodness, good summer soap.
Cyril R Salter Styptic Pencil - A good staple to have on hand, I used mine a few times in the first few months but hardly need it now, any minor weepers are taken care of with alum block but I still throw the styptic pen in the travel bag as it is handy if you have a bigger mishap, an scared the time I don't take it I will really need it :lol: .

Audiolab:

The shaving stand is the Cyril R Salter chrome stand - good quality.

prod-7159-250-250.jpg

Edwin Jagger Badger brush - Best Badger - didn't want to spend too much on my first brush.

Muhle R89 Closed Comb Razor - Nice choice, hard to say how it will be for you without knowing what your chrome razor is.

Do you mean which Razor I currently use? - oh that's easy - it's a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 :oops:

Proraso Shaving Soap - I went for the white tub - if I get on with that, I will try the green.

Boab:

I will look into the Alum block.

Many thanks to both of you for the feedback, it is very helpful.

Good evening Mick,

thank you for the welcome.

I was very impressed with the Tabac soap, it is a pleasure to use.

I'm quite excited about the Muhle R89 arriving tomorrow, which is making me question my sanity :lol:

foofighter said:
Good evening Mick,

thank you for the welcome.

I was very impressed with the Tabac soap, it is a pleasure to use.

I'm quite excited about the Muhle R89 arriving tomorrow, which is making me question my sanity :lol:

The R89 is a nice razor, you have made a decent choice :) Must admit I prefer the Green Proraso over the White - love that menthol goodness.

If you are thinking of the Tabac AS I would recommend here (for prices):

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_T-am-pid_1248M-am-cid_Cologne__products.html

Didn't realise this was the first DE, the R89 is a nice starter and could be the only razor you will ever need, coming from a hydro it will be a learning curve but a worthwhile one.

Nice stand BTW, they are not really necessary but I use one and think they look good in the bathroom. And the green and white tub Proraso soap perform just as well as each other, just the green tub has a menthol kick to it.

Good luck, hope it all arrives safely.

Audiolab said:
Nice stand BTW, they are not really necessary but I use one and think they look good in the bathroom.

I bought an "ivory" coloured ceramic toothbrush holder from Wilkinsons for £2 :D

If the Muhle R89 is anything like the Edwin Jagger 87 I have (thought I read somewhere that they have the same head?), I think you'll find it a great introduction. I find my EJ87 with a Gillette Green (or an Astra Platinum) works really well for me - gives a nice close shave and doesn't feel as harsh as I find my Merkur 34C.

Audiolab:

Well it's the first DE since the early seventies, but me thinks the technology has moved on somewhat since then (now those things were really dangerous!)
The stand is a little OTT but my ex wife didn't love me enough to buy me one so I thought I would treat myself.
Learning curves are by definition steep, that's what makes learning interesting.
Will let you know how it all goes later (once I have stopped bleeding)

Hax:

A fool and his money and all that.
I'm pretty sure you're correct, regarding the Muhle R89 and the EJ87 sharing the same head.
Thanks for the info on the blades you use, it's all useful.

Very nice selection to begin with FooF, although I've always found the Derbys to be a bit inconsistent in quality control; some in here swear by them ....... others swear at them, if you see what I mean.
Trumpers have always been a safe standby in my experience and the creams lather so easily I'd be careful about leaving them within a couple of feet of a damp brush.
The only reason I'm not so keen on the Proraso is entirely due to my not liking even a hint of menthol. Other than that imo it's a vastly under rated soap which is competitively priced and gives a lovely dense protective lather with oodles of slip.
If you want to try a couple of other blades drop me a pm with an address & I'll get a few posted down to you later in the week.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

foofighter said:
Audiolab:

Well it's the first DE since the early seventies, but me thinks the technology has moved on somewhat since then (now those things were really dangerous!)
The stand is a little OTT but my ex wife didn't love me enough to buy me one so I thought I would treat myself.
Learning curves are by definition steep, that's what makes learning interesting.
Will let you know how it all goes later (once I have stopped bleeding)

Hax:

A fool and his money and all that.
I'm pretty sure you're correct, regarding the Muhle R89 and the EJ87 sharing the same head.
Thanks for the info on the blades you use, it's all useful.

Guess if you had a DE in the early 70's then you are an old fart like a few of us here :lol: mind you in the early 70's I was still wearing nappies but there is quite an age range here so quite a broad spectrum of inputs which makes it a little bit richer. You are quite right to treat yourself, this is quite a self indulgent interest but it can make the mundane task of daily stubble removal not quite as hum drum and dull as it is for the average cartridge user.

Hope it all arrives OK today and do shout for help if you need it....good luck.

Back
Top Bottom