The New "Ever Ready"

I picked this razor up from ebay last week.

I've found 2 razors that are similar on other forums.

One here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/202041-The-New-Ever-Ready

The patent numbers on the back of the head date to 1909.

otK03bs.jpg

rOtnuzW.jpg

PUCHB5X.jpg

I thought I'd get outbid as I didn't pay much for it, I'm undecided to whether I'll use it or or not.

mulligano said:
Nice looking razor.

Is that the one with the stropping tool in the handle? I had an eye on that one!

It is, it's cleaned up well.
I was surprised to see it, it'd been listed the week before with no bids, the seller lowered the price and I went for it.

Greetings

That is a wonderful find, I didn't spot that one!

That is the second one that appeared on e-bay in the last two or three weeks but the other one was just the razor without the box, I missed out on that one as well.

I can't tell you anything about it that you do not already know other than it is more or less a 1924 Shovelhead many years before that model was released.

I see you have posted it on TOST perhaps Hoosier Trooper might know something about it's history, it's resemblance to the Yankee is obvious though. As all the early companies were either owned by ASR or taken over by ASR or were all 'in bed together', you seem to get several oddities spring up. I think you can be sure though that not many of these were made, I doubt it's hugely valuable as very few SE's are but it is certainly rare.

A super find!

Regards
Dick.

BigRon said:
I thought I'd get outbid as I didn't pay much for it, I'm undecided to whether I'll use it or or not.

Just noticed the last bit of your post - of course you should use it! And make sure you let us know how you find it.

mulligano said:
BigRon said:

Just noticed the last bit of your post - of course you should use it! And make sure you let us know how you find it.

I'm unsure whether I can get it clean enough to use. As far as I could tell its unplated brass, so I took the brasso to it, but I couldn't get the head as clean as I'd like.

The photos are after I'd cleaned it.

Thanks for all the info ND, I too wonder if HoosierTrooper can shed anymore light on it.

As long as it is properly sterile (boiling water/antiseptic) shouldn't it be ok? Or could the bare brass cause issues?

Another thing, do the GEM SE blades fit this one? By looking at it it looks ok, but the blade "grips" on the side look as though they might not allow the blade to sit right.

Greetings

I have never ever sterilised a razor, when one arrives in the post I put it into a mug with a spray of JIF Mousse and let it soak for five minutes. I then give it a good scrubbing with plain old Fairy Liquid. If the razor is nickel or chrome (and only if it needs it) I set about it carefully with Silvo, if it's brass then IMHO the more aggressive Brasso is just fine. If it's gold plated/washed I have not got the bottle to try anything other than the Fairy Liquid scrub.

I then scrub it again if I have used metal polish with a nailbrush and fairy liquid and shave with it.

I would be happy (overjoyed actually) to shave with it; being unplated brass won't matter, I have a couple of brass SE's the only difference is that the head (frame) does not glide across the skin quite so easily as a plated razor. I find it strange the lengths some shavers go to sterilising razors and then just use a blade with no more than a rinse under the hot tap.

The blade being the one part of the entire shaving setup that may (but ought not to) end up in contact with your blood!

The modern GEM blades will fit just fine it is just that the old SE blades did not have cut outs in the sides or the middle, the middle cutouts were introduced with the GEM OCMM. I do not know when the side cutouts appeared, perhaps at the same time.

Regards
Dick.

Thanks very much for all the information gents.

I will give it a final scrub with hot water and fairy liquid and then see how it performs.

I will keep you posted, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, the 1924 is my go to razor.

I shaved with it this afternoon.

It was a bit tricky to get the blade properly seated under the blade stops, but once that was sorted out I proceeded with my usual 3 passes (2x WTG, ATG) I managed to get a DFS I didn't want to push for BBS.

It shaved almost identically to the 1924 (as you would expect) but with subtle differences, mainly the length and weight of the handle, so I was concious of making sure I didn't use any pressure and that I maintained the correct angle.

Not sure it will be a regular feature in my rotation, but I will be using it again.

I missed that too, but I have been somewhat pre-occupied in the last few days. I do tend to sterilise a razor when I get a new one, either by steaming it or by using a half a Milton sterilising tablet in the Ultrasound cleaner. A find that the steaming can help to loosen off tough soap scum deposits and some of the older razors can have areas that are tricky to access. ND is correct though - the blade is what would do the damage.

It certainly looks an interesting piece, and one I shall be keeping my eyes out for.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom