The Goodfella's Smile Reviews

I'm loving this thread. I really want to try some of their soaps. Next on my list but I have a lot to work through before making my next purchase. I wonder if anyone on this site would consider some sample swaps? I love trying new and different stuff but I can't justify buying more at the moment. Also, do you rate their splashes?

I'm loving this thread. I really want to try some of their soaps. Next on my list but I have a lot to work through before making my next purchase. I wonder if anyone on this site would consider some sample swaps? I love trying new and different stuff but I can't justify buying more at the moment. Also, do you rate their splashes?
Hi John. Yes - the splashes perform the same as the RazoRock versions so are good bang for your buck. I'll probably be doing another PIF in June when I sort the den out. I'll also PIF you one of these soaps to try at the same time.

The Abysso sort of reminds me of Davidoff cool water.

Glad to see these soaps getting some recognition. I tried the Furiah soap as I liked the art work (reminds me of the Dark Souls games for anyone who's into video games) and found the scent to be similar to Razorock puros or Extro's tobacco.

Their aftershaves are also good and the ones that I have used have some good longevity.
I missed your comment regarding Cool Water and someone has just said the same thing on ATG. I think you've nailed it with that comparison.

Hi John. Yes - the splashes perform the same as the RazoRock versions so are good bang for your buck. I'll probably be doing another PIF in June when I sort the den out. I'll also PIF you one of these soaps to try at the same time.
Thanks mate. Very generous! Let me know nearer the time, maybe we can arrange a swap.

I missed your comment regarding Cool Water and someone has just said the same thing on ATG. I think you've nailed it with that comparison.

Ha...I replied to that thread on the other forum.

Ive noticed their soap pucks are available in the UK now...might buy one to see what they are like

Looks like I made a goof in a recent order and purchased the Inferno, which I already have, instead of the Chronos. If anyone is interested in a trade in the future once life goes semi- back to normal, let me know.

Chronos review:

IMG_20200502_090212.jpg
Razor: Colonial General SS
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
Brush: Simpson T2
Soap: TGS Chronos
Pre: Proraso Wood & Spice
ASL: Williams A/V
ASB: RSC
Scent: PR 1 Million

The test lather I did in my palm with the Chronos a few days ago provided a thick and slick lather and I was looking forward to using it. The scent is very similar to PR 1 Million.

The lather stability during this shave seemed pretty poor and there was a lack of residual slickness. The lather was thin and ineffective by the third pass.

Whilst I like the scent of 1M, I found it quite cloying when on my face. I used a new brush with this soap and I'm less than impressed with the brush so I should probably give the Chronos another go with a better brush but I've got so many other good soaps, I don't know if I can be bothered.

Here's the ingredients:
IMG_20200502_090226.jpg

Chronos review:

View attachment 54123
Razor: Colonial General SS
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
Brush: Simpson T2
Soap: TGS Chronos
Pre: Proraso Wood & Spice
ASL: Williams A/V
ASB: RSC
Scent: PR 1 Million

The test lather I did in my palm with the Chronos a few days ago provided a thick and slick lather and I was looking forward to using it. The scent is very similar to PR 1 Million.

The lather stability during this shave seemed pretty poor and there was a lack of residual slickness. The lather was thin and ineffective by the third pass.

Whilst I like the scent of 1M, I found it quite cloying when on my face. I used a new brush with this soap and I'm less than impressed with the brush so I should probably give the Chronos another go with a better brush but I've got so many other good soaps, I don't know if I can be bothered.

Here's the ingredients:
View attachment 54122
Is that the smaller version of the Simpson Brush , as you liked the larger one ? What's your overall thought on the goodfellas smile range ? bit variable ?

Is that the smaller version of the Simpson Brush , as you liked the larger one ? What's your overall thought on the goodfellas smile range ? bit variable ?
It's the middle sized brush: T1 (which I don't have) is a 23mm, the T2 is a 24mm and the T3 is 26mm.

The T2 seems quite a thinly packed brush unlike the T3. I really like the T3 but the knot seems much bigger than 26mm (not a bad thing). I'll get some photos up later. I can see the T3 being one of my favourite brushes.

The TGS range is very variable Russ. There's some I really like and some I haven't gotten on with. Aside from the rainbow-like soap colours, the actual soap consistency is very different across the range. That variety isn't a bad thing but it means you can't be sure what you're going to get when you buy a new variant. The Chronos for example is almost cream like - almost more cream than croap (think Saponifico Bignoli).

Having completed a few palm lathers with the Shibusa 2 when testing some new brushes, the lather seemed to be much better than my shave mentioned in this thread and scent slowly began to improve. I thought I'd give it another shot and today's lather was much better. Scent was nice and there was enough slick lather for 3 passes with the efficient SE1.

This soap will be staying in the den.

IMG_20200515_203045.jpg

Following on from these excellent reviews from Chris, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

I used TGS Lemon and Mint for the first time on Friday.
I used a ExS Medium Jock Synth and a Rockwell 6S with an R3 plate and an Astra blade which was on its fourth outing.
Using a bowl I added the usual 3 or 4 drops of water and then a 10 second swirl of my brush which had been squeezed so it was just damp.
This produced (what I thought) was a good useable lather but almost immediately the lather had dried considerably. It was certainly “useable” but I decided to add another 5 drops of water from my fingertips and start again.
This worked excellently and produced a great lather but I wouldn't say it was the easiest to work up.
The scent is great, it reminded me of Lemon Hooch which we drink when we were 15 .
Two passes of the neck and cheeks were ample for me (I have a beard).
A quick rub of the Alum block produced very little stinging, I have a really sensitive right side of my neck so this was pleasing.
Balm and the matching ASL was added.
One thing I will say about the scent is that it's very subtle. It's nice but not what I'd call strong.
I didn't get the mint coming through, but on that note I don't get the menthol hit from Floïds Mentally Vigorous either so that could be a problem with my beaker!!
Im going to use it again later this morning and if there's anything different to add then I'll post here.4DFB4424-7067-44B0-8FCF-A26E7E6CF09F.jpeg

I always feel sorry for the poor man trapped in Andy Murrrays bag. Hope he's not still there.

Following on from these excellent reviews from Chris, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

I used TGS Lemon and Mint for the first time on Friday.
I used a ExS Medium Jock Synth and a Rockwell 6S with an R3 plate and an Astra blade which was on its fourth outing.
Using a bowl I added the usual 3 or 4 drops of water and then a 10 second swirl of my brush which had been squeezed so it was just damp.
This produced (what I thought) was a good useable lather but almost immediately the lather had dried considerably. It was certainly “useable” but I decided to add another 5 drops of water from my fingertips and start again.
This worked excellently and produced a great lather but I wouldn't say it was the easiest to work up.
The scent is great, it reminded me of Lemon Hooch which we drink when we were 15 .
Two passes of the neck and cheeks were ample for me (I have a beard).
A quick rub of the Alum block produced very little stinging, I have a really sensitive right side of my neck so this was pleasing.
Balm and the matching ASL was added.
One thing I will say about the scent is that it's very subtle. It's nice but not what I'd call strong.
I didn't get the mint coming through, but on that note I don't get the menthol hit from Floïds Mentally Vigorous either so that could be a problem with my beaker!!
Im going to use it again later this morning and if there's anything different to add then I'll post here.View attachment 54607

I always feel sorry for the poor man trapped in Andy Murrrays bag. Hope he's not still there.
Hi Garry, next time you load your brush, load it like you hate it and see if that improves your lather. I've noticed a fair bit of lather inconsistency across this range of soaps. I've also noticed that I've been the problem on some occasions though :LOL:

Hi Garry, next time you load your brush, load it like you hate it and see if that improves your lather. I've noticed a fair bit of lather inconsistency across this range of soaps. I've also noticed that I've been the problem on some occasions though :LOL:

I'm not sure about your TGS soaps Chris but this tub was full to the brim!! Not a complaint on my part but made loading a tad more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom