The 'Fergiebilly' Shim

+1 Billy
Am with you on this , glad I use a shim . For me even tames a 1924. But as you say older SE users have adapted their technique to suit Razor/Blade.
Mike B

Well the monkeys and the brain surgeons will be pleased to know that the shimmed 1912 is now in joint top spot with the Clog Pruf for me. Third shave on the blade, as good as any the latter has given me - on a different level than BBS!

I used a shim today for the first time. Popped into a US 1912 & I really enjoyed a smooth shave. What was different was that I had no irritation on my neck - something I get possibly every shave. Coincidence with the shim? I'm not sure. Enjoyed the shave - not particularly the removing of the spine from an old blade! It was a nice distraction from listening to Bradford City getting a reet old tonking though.
Richard

Glad you felt a difference with the shim..It can Make a 1912 a lot Smoother..

Bily

A friend of mine bought a 3d printer recently, so I brought in my Heljestrand SE and some GEM blades. He's had a go at making me a little custom shim, complete with the central pin to go through the GEM blade. I will try it tonight! Can't wait.

If it works, we can publish the model, and other people could make such shims for themselves