The effect of 'shaving soap' on the skin

soapalchemist said:
I've never heard of this before. As has been pointed out, if you have an irritated reaction to an ingredient the usual reaction would be redness not whiteness. It's true some men can have a certain pallor after shaving, but I would put that down to exfoliation and a hint of dark beard growth.
Unless you use fake tan on your arm, and leaving soap on it for a long time in one spot has washed it off?

No fake tan here!
Iam outside alot though through work, so I have a bit of natural colour.
Going to buy some of your soap; seems to be all natural stuff.
----
Try this test everyone.
In the morning when you shave put a blob of shaving soap/cream/lather on the inside of your arm then when you've finished shaving wash it off. See if it has left a pale mark.

For me normal hand bar soap leaves no mark; proper shaving soap does!?

Try this test everyone.
In the morning when you shave put a blob of shaving soap/cream/lather on the inside of your arm then when you've finished shaving wash it off. See if it has left a pale mark.

Tried the test with Vitos soap this morning and nothing.
My only though is could there be menthol in the soap you are using?

Dandy Highwayman said:
Try this test everyone.

There's no mention of menthol in the Speick I've used; don't know about the ingredients in the Gillette blue bowl.
Cheers.

juice said:
what is it in shaving soap that causes the blood vessels in the skin to shrink?

Nothing. At least not in a 'traditional' shaving soap. Apart from the fragrance (which you could be allergic to), a shaving soap is just a soap. Now a modern factory-bred shaving soap contains other ingredients than 'just soap'; but so do a lot of 'detergent bars' of the toilet, bath, or hand soap kind that we conveniently identify as 'soap'...

juice said:
Dandy Highwayman said:
Try this test everyone.

There's no mention of menthol in the Speick I've used; don't know about the ingredients in the Gillette blue bowl.
Cheers.

In the interests of science I will try the test again tomorrow with a cream that i know contains menthol.

Speick contains extract of the Speick plant.

Speick is known in botanical circles as Valerina celtica. Its Latin name is cultural history at its best: "Valere" is Latin for "stay healthy", and "celtica" stands for its Celtic background, today the alpine Nock Mountains in Carinthia, Austria.

The medicinal plant has a calming effect on the central nervous system while simultaneously stimulating the vegetative nervous system. Speick relaxes without tiring and revitalises body, mind, and soul.

Speick was previously known as Spica celtica. The medicinal plant's rootstock is reminiscent of an ear of grain, and so was unceremoniously dubbed Spica, the Latin word for this. Spica became Speick over the course of the plant's centuries of history.

To find Speick, you must first cover many vertical meters, leaving the treeline of the Carinthian Alps well behind. You can find what you're looking for from 1,800m. Speick builds its harmonising strength in the protected Nock Mountains Biosphere Reserve.

Valuable Speick oil has been gently extracted from the roots of the plant for thousands of years. Speick was used to perfume bathes, and afterwards, the valuable oil was used for skin care in Egypt in 500 BC. For centuries, several tonnes of Speick was exported from Venice to all over the world every day.

The plant was already used for medicinal uses in the 10th century. The doctor Galen cured Emperor Marc Aurel's stomach problems with Speick. The plant was worth its weight in gold and was later subject to high taxes. Speick was exported to Turkey, Syria, Morocco and Sudan until the start of the 20th century. In 1936, Speick was threatened with extinction and was placed under protection. With it, Speick promptly lost its economic importance and sank into oblivion.

Speick is harvested by hand, as it has been for centuries. The Speick harvest is an important source of income for the alpine farming families with harvesting licenses.

Speick natural cosmetics are the only products in the world to contain the unique Speick extract, which has been certified as from biologically regulated wild harvesting since 2003. Speick extract is combined with other ingredients, depending on the product. Alongside Speick extract, the Speick Thermal range (approved natural cosmetics), for example, also contains alga and silica combined with the fruity fragrance of essential oils.

Nationalpark Nockberge,
natural origin of the Speick plant

Best matches for speick plant extractValuable Speick oil has been gently extracted from the roots of the plant for thousands of years. Speick was used to perfume bathes, and afterwards, the... Jump to text »More matches »« Fewer matches

This is a strange one as the two soaps in question are poles apart from each other.

At least in my experience a Speick stick is a far better performing soap than Wilkinson bowl, either black or blue. I couldn't really think of a common ingredient between the two which would cause this reaction. I got irritation using a wilkinson bowl (black) but that was because the soap is rubbish and I get great results from Speick soap stick and cream.

If it's an issue and you like Speick, try Speick cream.

Oh and don't get the Wilkinson bowl confused with a Wilkinson stick. The sticks from Wilkinson are a whole new ball game compared to the bowl.

Back
Top Bottom