The 'C' Word

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase c** *hr**t used to describe a straight razor on this board, or on B&B. Is it bad ju-ju :shock: , or something?

Well my guess is that the gentlemen over at Badger & Blade would wish to distance themselves from the type of riff raff who demonise their pride and glory by associating it with murder, gore, slashing....... meat pies etc. :lol:

The truth is more probably that "cut throat" is just a slang term for the razor, seeing as it's proper name was probably once just "Razor" and using the descriptive name of Straight Razor is more accurate in these circles.

However the easiest way to describe a straight to someone (who doesn't already know what a straight is) would be to call it a cut throat.

I tend to find that the phrase "cut-throat" is used by people that know very little, or are not involved with wet shaving.

Ian

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154490</a><!-- m --> ;)

"Gill-maker"

I tend to use "cut throat" when talking to the aforementioned people who know nothing about wet shaving, because if you say "straight" they look at you gone out. In fact I used to call them cut-throats myself before I became heducated.

Its just a word - it can't hurt you!

I personally detest the term "straight" razor - to me it is an americanism, but everybody seems to use it these days, so i might as well go with the flow. Far more english is the original term "open razor" - or just cut-throat. Everybody called them 'cut-throats' when I was a kid - probably encouraged by the story of Mr Todd. Mind you, everybody was far-more outspoken when I was a kid - none of that pc rubbish like 'spokesperson' 'chairperson' or 'refuse agent' - everyone seems either embarrassed to call a spade a spade or is offended by straight talk now.

Happily this is quite a light-hearted, well-informed forum of grown-ups - or I would be facing my third forum ban...!

I still call them cut-throats when talking to people of a certain age - some would wonder what a "straight razor" or "open razor" was. I don't see it as macho or ignorance - just a case of 'when in Rome...'

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
none of that pc rubbish like 'spokesperson' 'chairperson' or 'refuse agent'
I heard a "policewoman" referred to as a "woman police officer" on the radio recently. Now if you're going to de-sexualise it and say "police officer" instead of policeman or policewoman, what's the damn point of putting "woman" in front of it?

Anyway, I like "open razor", so I'm going to start using that from now on.

cheese_dave said:
Neil Miller said:
none of that pc rubbish like 'spokesperson' 'chairperson' or 'refuse agent'
I heard a "policewoman" referred to as a "woman police officer" on the radio recently. Now if you're going to de-sexualise it and say "police officer" instead of policeman or policewoman, what's the damn point of putting "woman" in front of it?

Anyway, I like "open razor", so I'm going to start using that from now on.

I met an old school friend - female - a while back. she told me she was now the 'chair' of local council. She wasn't at all amused when I congratulated her on her progress from bicycle to piece of furniture.

You just can't please some people.

I like open razor too.

Regards,
Neil

Only tenuously related, this, but the story has stuck in my mind (it may well be apocryphal). Long ago, probably in the 50s or 60s, Wilkinson Sword ran a competition with one of those tie breakers where you supply a witty ending given the start of a sentence, in this case simply "Wilkinson Sword is ...". The deserving winner was "Wilkinson Sword is a gentleman's best protection against roughnecks and cutthroats".

And yes, Neil, now I come to think about it "straight razor" isn't very good really. I don't think any of mine are straight.

Yes it could be seen as a trifle homophobic to constantly refer to razors as straight but describing them as being open might just make them sound curious :?

As for women police officers I shall continue to refer to them as those ones with the lumpy stab vests (but who still have a truncheon :eek: ).

:lol: Jeltz you´re killing me here :lol:

In Sweden we have one word for them "Rakkniv" it has two meanings: straight knife or shaving knife. I don´t know which is the correct and I don´t care much, but most people (over 20) knows what it is. It can´t be confused with any other kind of shaving device, since they have completly different names. Nice and simple.

Neil - from now on you´ll be called: the straight person ;)

Back
Top Bottom