The burn, the burn!!!

lindyhop66 said:
Dry face, warm lather and you rinse the razor with cold water? Do you shave after a hot shower or can you just do it anytime and get good results?

Ok, the whole routine:
1. Hot shower
2. Cold shower
3. Lukewarm lather
4. Basin with cold water - submerge the face for 10-15 sec, pat dry
5. Shave, rinse with cold water

But I get good results without a shower too - just wash the face with some moisturising soap, warm water first, then a few cold splashes.

Idea here is that cold water leaves your skin taunt and whiskers sticking stiff, which obviously allows for a closer and more comfortable shave - as opposed to the hot water that makes your skin swell slightly.

Cold water is also highly beneficial for the health - stimulating a blood flow. Plenty of articles you could research in your free time if interested.
Also, I see many people are opposed to cold water procedures because, well, they think they'll be cold :) In fact, once you get into, it it's quite nice and invigorating, not uncomfortable at all.

It's just English, innit? Public schools, 1st Formers, cold showers, hadn't realised it was whiskers that were supposed to stick out, though.

They're busy running the country now - both sides of the House!

Helveticum said:
lindyhop66 said:
Dry face, warm lather and you rinse the razor with cold water? Do you shave after a hot shower or can you just do it anytime and get good results?

Ok, the whole routine:
1. Hot shower
2. Cold shower
3. Lukewarm lather
4. Basin with cold water - submerge the face for 10-15 sec, pat dry
5. Shave, rinse with cold water

But I get good results without a shower too - just wash the face with some moisturising soap, warm water first, then a few cold splashes.

Idea here is that cold water leaves your skin taunt and whiskers sticking stiff, which obviously allows for a closer and more comfortable shave - as opposed to the hot water that makes your skin swell slightly.

Cold water is also highly beneficial for the health - stimulating a blood flow. Plenty of articles you could research in your free time if interested.
Also, I see many people are opposed to cold water procedures because, well, they think they'll be cold :) In fact, once you get into, it it's quite nice and invigorating, not uncomfortable at all.
I tried a cold water shave last night with my Gillette Knack with a Cooncat Bob handle and a brushless shaving cream, no shower, no warm lather, rinsing razor in cold water. No nicks, no irritation. I'm amazed. You're right. My face felt better than usual after a shave and an alcohol based splash didn't irritate my face afterwards. It usually does with warm water shave. Also, I got a close shave very easily. Thanks for clueing me in on cold water shaving.

lindyhop66 said:
I tried a cold water shave last night with my Gillette Knack with a Cooncat Bob handle and a brushless shaving cream, no shower, no warm lather, rinsing razor in cold water. No nicks, no irritation. I'm amazed. You're right. My face felt better than usual after a shave and an alcohol based splash didn't irritate my face afterwards. It usually does with warm water shave. Also, I got a close shave very easily. Thanks for clueing me in on cold water shaving.

Welcome to the club! :)

Well for what it's worth... I like warm water, warm lather, a really old DE razor, an inexpensive blade, I use a lot of pressure when I shave, and I really like a good burn from my alcohol based aftershave. And I do as many passes as need to get a BBS each time. DE, SE, or Open. Really.

Well yesterday I burnt my face. Turned out the hot water I used to heat my bowl was just a bit too hot and I had an awful awful awful shave. :( A few of the tips on my brush are also a bit curled now.

So today I had a cooler shave and it was fine.

Which is best? No idea. I'll try cold shaving again just to see anyway.

TBH, the only thing that I don't enjoy any more is alcohol based ASBs. They irritate my face (well, shaven skin) like nothing else and the only way of stopping it is to wash off and apply a non-alcohol based solution.

Back
Top Bottom