The Best

I use Proraso green
How does that compare against other brands.

What do you consider the best face lathering cream that can be purchased in the UK

Last edited:
Consider it a benchmark product that meets and exceeds a number of criteria such as availability, price, ease of use, in-shave effectiveness and post-shave feel. When trying out other products, you can compare: it is as good as Proraso.

Echoing again a vote of confidence for Trumpers cream ... and another suggestion for an alternative. Fitjar Islands - available in the UK from Executive Shaving: https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/collections/vendors?q=Fitjar Islands

All Better Than Proraso by a country mile but also more expensive.
This isn’t a criticism of Proraso off course but there’s far better out there and i would also put Cella in there as well.
In no particular order

Truefitt & Hill
Geo F Trumper
Signature
Taylor Of Old Bond Street
Executive Shaving
Castle Forbes
Crichton’s
Fitjar Islands.

Proraso No. The instructions say a 2cm squeeze onto a brush bristles but I find 4 cm is needed. Palmolive is about equivalent and cheaper - £2.00p at Sainsbury's currently. More expensive creams work out cheaper because a lot less is used.

My comparison (I face lather with a boar bristle brush)::
Geo F Trumper 150g - a fingernail size of it pushed onto the bristles lathers immediately and provides enough lather for three passes. Shame about the lack of scent though.
TOBS 150g - about equivalent to GFT but needs a few extra circling motions of the brush to build the same lather.
Boti (from Aliexpress) 2x 100g- a softer cream which provides enough lather for two passes with just a few dabs of moist bristles. Another dab for a third pass. Slightly astringent which can be felt on the lips and small weepers heal immediately upon the final cold rinse. No scent though. although the label promises Sandalwood Looks cheap at first considering you get two tins of it but after tax and shipping it comes to £9.45 and delivery took a week. My Goto until I found my last pick below.
Cyril R Salter 165g - Not often mentioned in reviews and superior to all of the above. I made my second purchase of this today from Connaught Shaving - total £13.80p including Royal Mail 24 delivery and VAT z bit cheaper than Amazon U.K.

Worth a mention for those who want something cheaper but equivalent to Proraso and Palmolive- Lea Classic from Connaught Shaving.

I acknowledge that I might do better with a bowl but to me that's just something more to wash up and not really needed!

I have used the Proraso white and green range a lot over the years and they are very decent for the price. Palmolive punches well above its price point and is, to me, a more luxurious shave over the Proraso, tho it does dry my skin a little post-shave.

TOBS are better still and i am currently using Sandlewood and Jermyn Street creams, both of which give a great shaving experience. The Sandlewood seems to be the stand-out of the two.

The cream not mentioned often, although i really rate it, is the Proraso Blue. For me its a really smooth and slippery, moisturising shave cream.

Honourable mention for original formula MWF, which is just a great before, during and after shaving experience. Leaves your skin feeling really moisturised and great.