Thanksgiving

Well happy thanksgiving to one and all.
So today we gave the kids a choice on thanksgiving supper and turkey is out and tonight we have Japanese chicken and gyoza dumplins below is recipe for both, So enjoy your thanksgiving

Makes 4 skewers, This takes only 5-6 minutes to cook, not including the marinating time, and can be prepped the night before.

1 raw skinned chicken breast, about 120g / 4 oz
The marinade:

2 Tbs. soy sauce
1/2 Tbs. lime juice
1/2 Tbs. xiaoxing wine (available at Chinese or general Asian grocery stores; substitute sake or sherry if you don’t have it)
About 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Red chili pepper flakes, to taste
A pinch of sugar (about 1/4 tsp.)
A few drops of fish sauce (optional; available at Thai or general Asian grocery stores)

oil for cooking, about 1 Tbs.

Cut the chicken breast into 4 strips lengthwise. Thread them onto skewers. The trick is to sort of fold the pieces accordion-style, and to skewer them through the folds.
Combine the marinade ingredients. Marinade the skewered chicken for at least 5 minutes, ideally about an hour. You can marinate it overnight.
You can grill the skewers, or just cook them in a frying pan.The chicken only takes a 2 to 3 minutes per side to cook.Pour in the marinade to glaze the chicken.

Gyoza Dumplings:
2 Chinese cabbage
Minced pork 400-500g
Nira ( garlic chive ) 1 bunch
Ginger 1 thumb
1 Egg
1 Table spoon of flour
Salt and pepper

*Until here is my recipe. But you can also add..

Soy sauce 2Tsp
Sugar 1Tsp
Sesame oil 2 Tsp
Sake 1 Tsp
Miso 2Tsp

1: Chop Chinese cabbages , add 1-2 Tsp salt and then leave 10min.
2: Drain all the water out from the cabbage , add chopped Nira , egg , flour , salt
and pepper.

* You can add the rest of seasoning here if you like.

3: Mix by hand until it gets sticky.

4: Wrap this in dumpling sheet.

Dipping sauce:

Soy sause 3
Lemon Juice 1
Sake 1
Vinegar 1 ( I use Japanese vinegar for Sushi rice )
Mirin 2

Put all into the pan and boil for 5min.

Ah well, this is as good a day as any for dedicated DE wet shavers to give thanks for King Camp Gillette & the vision which came to him by night in his dreams.
(Also for his fine marketing idea of donating a razor to American troops being outfitted for their entry into the 1st World War).

JohnnyO.

moodymick said:
Thanksgiving? Think you're on the wrong forum there :?
And there was me thinking this was a multi-national forum that did not discriminant unlike another forum where if you don't live there you banned :?: And as I joint parentage and my wife is Canadian we still enjoy the holiday weekends. Also there maybe other Canadians that visit this site or living in the UK (God forbid) :lol:
And after all if it where a UK site site alone where would the likes of people like french blade go

It is not for me to speak for Moody Mick, but perhaps you haven't noticed we're big on irony here!
And may I take this opportunity to wish you and yours a happy thanksgiving

Thank you M'Lud

It's a bit less valuable than bronzey and Goldy, but it gets us safely through most days and well into our dotage.

Lipsy

Do they have Vagina Day too? :? I would google it, but I am at work and the internet nazi's will be waiting for me and I'm supposed to be writing someones assessment at the moment.

The more i think about this, the more i believe we should have a Vagina Appreciation Day.

I think i will mention it to my mate Bruce - I know he has a particular infinity towards them

Erm, far be it from me to deprive anyone else of a culinary delicacy, however most Friday evenings Fish & Chips with a deep fried Mars Bar & a wee skoosh of Irn Bru are used to celebrate the traditional Glasgow "Hooray It's the Weekend" day.

JohnnyO.

moodymick said:
Do they have Vagina Day too? :?
You could always say it's someone's name.
I gather that in Hinduism there is a Lingham/Yoni celebration, the belief being that they are harmoniously complimentary to one another.
Which is fair comment.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Had to Google it as I was confused. Didn't realise this holiday occurred in Canada too, albeit a different date.

Happy holidays