Teen age interests

Hiya,

It was 1961 when I was 12 that pinball became a major part of my free time. There was an extremely large bowling alley only a 15 minute bike ride from my house, and it became a fun place to hang out. There was a 'billiards' room (pockets), and 32 bowling lanes on each side of a wide carpeted walkway. Also on this walkway was a circular room with all glass windows and inside were 10 pinball machines inna circle pattern.

Now, living in Chicago back then you got 4 TV channels plus one useless Public Channel. That was it. No cable and remote controls were expensive on TV sets back then.

After plenty of practice some games rarely cost me more than the initial 10 cent coin. Yep, 10 cents a play or 3 for 25 cents.

One common incident was the replacement of the fairly thick glass protecting the playing field. Not strange to see a player get pissed off and bang on that glass in frustration. Sometimes the glass would break, and that's when the alley employees would jump into action. Would take just a few minutes to install a new glass and charged the culprit $5 for the repair. Heh, I still have a small scar on my knuckle from something or other......I forget.

Pinball was great. We used to go bowling too but they didn't have pinball at the bowl. I don't have any funny stories about bowling, we just enjoyed it as it was. We wanted to nick the shoes because they were kind of Mod fashion, and were they not so skanky from hundreds of feet! Most pinball tables were in pubs round where I lived, although one of my workmates had one in his garage. Again, no great pinball stories, but the Addams Family was one of our favourite tables I remember. And there was a Dolly Parton one we used to play, weirdly. If you could get your balls into the 'Parton Hole' you got a free extra ball. None of us clocked the innuendo at the time in spite of reading Viz with Finbarr Saunders and his double entendres. Now I'm old enough to know better I'm smirking like a school kid. Adulting is hard some days.

Stick fights.

We used to go to the woods, make a den, climb trees and then have stick fights. Basically just pick up a stick and start swinging. That finished when a mate nearly lost an eye.

Knives I got into and never really grew out of. Few scrapes with them as a kid didn't really teach me a lesson!

Still own an air rifle which I use for pest control in the yard at work. Always wanted one of those black widow slingshots but never got one. Wife would kill me if I bought one now!

Growing up as a teenager, there was a big warehouse across the street that processed grain and hops. Had several hundred pigeons that called it home, and they spent most of their time perched on it's apex.

I would lay on my bed, pretending to be a sniper, open the second story window and shoot at them with my Daisy air rifle. Of course, by the time the BB arrived at it's destination, it had lost almost all it's force. Just enough 'oomph' to knock a pigeon off it's perch, but not enough to kill it. Fun times.

Hiya,

When someone mentioned plinking birds it reminded me of my friend's work in the late 60s. He did the maintenance in the extremely large and tall B'hai Temple. Very holy spot for the followers who visit from all over the world.

One job was climbing into the high catwalks after hours and with his CO2 pellet gun would knock off the pigeons hanging out there. I'll include a pic. Hehe, years later in the early 70s some of us would return late at night to hide outside on the beautifully landscaped and lit up grounds to trip our brains out looking at everything.

Attachments

• baha-i-temple-wilmette-harbor-aerial-aerial-view-baha-i-temple-wilmette-harbor-wilmette-il-usi...jpg
    baha-i-temple-wilmette-harbor-aerial-aerial-view-baha-i-temple-wilmette-harbor-wilmette-il-usi...jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3
  • temple_rotated_90.jpg
    temple_rotated_90.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
These are something else! Amazing, with an amazing price too!

What's doin,

Back in the early 70s a friend of mine worked for Bally in Chicago. He bought himself an extremely popular machine called Fireball which is now a highly collectible one going for big bucks. Of the three pinballs he owned it was the least fun to play. Go figure.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom