Teen age interests

Hiya,

What other 'hobbies' did y'all get into during your younger years? Potentially damaging ones with sharp or pointed things like knives maybe, or other stuff like that or maybe the crossbow?. BB guns and darts are ok too. RC planes, go carts, trains, cars. and the like is fine and whatever else members have been 'enthusiastic' about in der yout. Photography, comic books of some type. There's room for blowing up stuff using interesting methods (use with discretion).

If I may give an example from when I was 12-13 years old that involved acquiring the Chief Drowning Bear bullwhip. Damn place was always putting ads with pics in the Boy Scout magazines and I couldn't last.

Initially, and that part took a while getting through, I gave myself a pretty rough ride. Welts on my back, neck ear and arms, plus something breaking the speed barrier is flicking its tongue all over me is never good. Very colorful however!

Finally got so's no more marks at all and I still remember a couple basic moves with the cracks sounding ok, not that I can use em. Heh, I still have an old 10 footer that mighta kilt me if I'd started with it.''

Any thoughts or items are welcome, including slingshots of course,

Martin

Last edited:
The oddest one we were into was something we named "mini-rucks"

One of us would run out in front of a car and get a (gentle) kickin' from our mates in the hope that the driver would "save" us and take us home for food and drink.

It actually worked more often than you might expect.

The oddest one we were into was something we named "mini-rucks"

One of us would run out in front of a car and get a (gentle) kickin' from our mates in the hope that the driver would "save" us and take us home for food and drink.

It actually worked more often than you might expect.
That's a good one and something I never even thought of trying! I hitchiked quite a bit in the 60s with almost no issues. My local technique was to stand at t correct 4 way stop light corner and actually approach the driver side window on red light to beg a ride. Hard to imagine now.

Thanks for that post.

Hiya,

What other 'hobbies' did y'all get into during your younger years? Potentially damaging ones with sharp or pointed things like knives maybe, or other stuff like that or maybe the crossbow?. BB guns and darts are ok too. RC planes, go carts, trains, cars. and the like is fine and whatever else members have been 'enthusiastic' about in der yout. Photography, comic books of some type. There's room for blowing up stuff using interesting methods (use with discretion).

If I may give an example from when I was 12-13 years old that involved acquiring the Chief Drowning Bear bullwhip. Damn place was always putting ads with pics in the Boy Scout magazines and I couldn't last.

Initially, and that part took a while getting through, I gave myself a pretty rough ride. Welts on my back, neck ear and arms, plus something breaking the speed barrier is flicking its tongue all over me is never good. Very colorful however!

Finally got so's no more marks at all and I still remember a couple basic moves with the cracks sounding ok, not that I can use em. Heh, I still have an old 10 footer that mighta kilt me if I'd started with it.''

Any thoughts or items are welcome, including slingshots of course,

Martin
I plead the fifth, or at least I would if I was in the US! :)

Paul.

Had an RC plane, I think it was a Slingsby Eagle. Had an RO72 .177 target pistol which was a lot of fun for shooting my mum's pegs off the washing line from my bedroom window when i was 14. I am friends with the guy who lives in the house I grew up in, and the pellet dings are still in the garage door! He said he always wondered how they got there so I set him straight. I'm somewhat outgunned though, he's got a firearms license and showed me his gun cupboard once. I won't be burgling him, put it that way! He's the one who sorts me out with fresh game...

We used to smuggle bangers back from France on school trips and then blow stuff up. I remember my mate's brother put a lit one about the size of a cigarette in his mouth as if smoking, intending to spit it out just in time. The wet paper stuck to his lip and he blew his face up, the tit. The same guy filled his hand with meths and lit it, because it burns so easily you can do that, at least until it started to boil. We had to rush him to hospital in his dad's old Hillman Avenger which 'got air' as fatha drove too fast over a hump backed bridge and nearly fell apart on landing. He was not popular that day!

mountain biking (in the form of doing tricks and dirt jumps). had a small group in the place a grew up and we all used to get together at weekends or after school to go biking. I remember the days in secondary school where me and my friend would run home to get some time on the bikes.

Miss those days...wish I still had a group of people to go riding with

Yeah when I was a teen, mountain bikes as such didn't exist, we made "trackers" and "scramblers" out of various bikes, usually smaller back wheel, cowhorn handlebars etc. They used to come apart as we rattled down the local hills. When mountain bikes did become a thing I was all over them. I've still got a 1988 (?) Cannondale ST800 (?) which has a 24" back wheel, 26" front, Girvan Flexstem, Suntour Rollercam rear brake and Deore XT 6 speed thumb shifters. It still rides really well. Proper Made In USA frame with the station house logo, not the big C. It's a bit battered now though. It's even got some "Mint Sauce" stickers on it that I got from early editions of MBUK magazine. I wish I had kept the original rigid forks now instead of these Rockshox Indy Cs.2015-05-03 13.26.21.jpg

Hiya,

Something called 'skitching' was a favorite Chicago winter sport and one y'all probably aren't too familiar with because it's a snow thing.

Starting around 13-14 years old, the idea was to take advantage of the icy or snowy road conditions to kinda become invincible (in our minds) and do some dangerous stuff. Fun things such as grabbing onto a moving vehicle's rear bumper and staying low so the driver had no clue he was providing a nice bit of amusement. Next best was having a buddy driving a bunch of friends.

Of course that small chance of horrible injury was always faintly in the background, since you couldn't see what was coming up while sliding along at 30-35 mph. That was the bad part.

Attachments

• skitching.jpg
    skitching.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
Another complete wanker here.

I loved climbing trees. Making rope swings out in the country. Underage drinking out in the country. Making fires and climbing all over shit. Playing football. I was fitba’ mad back then. I had an Anstrad computer too and loved playing games on that. Radio control cars. Wanted a plane or a boat but no dice. I loved buggering off fishing. No artistry in it - just lure the buggers with bread, maggots or worms. Nae float either. Just plain light line and the bait or a weight - legering. Get them oot, whack them on the heid if they were big enough for eating then take them home. Faither showed me how to gut’em and I took it from there. Free food and the thrill of the catch. Too wee they went back. Football, did I mention football? Bike rides to places too far away for official ‘permission’ to be granted. Sometimes with a football, sometimes with a fishing rod, sometimes with pockets full of sweets Aye, good times. What the feck happened….?

'Pooters n paedos (or the parental fear thereof). And then the idea that life ought to be, and could be risk free, if only we just let the nanny state deprive us of personal responsibility. That's what knacked it. We used to get up to all sort of cool stuff, some wholesome, some safe, some legal, others maybe a bit borderline but nothing real bad.

Mind you my Godson did his Duke of Edinburgh award last week in the pishing rain and slept in a flooded tent, normally you can't get him off his laptop, so there's still hope.

I used to love wanking.

Edit: sorry, misread the original question :D dangerous games, we used to play a game called brick in the air, if there was a group of us someone at random would pick half a brick up throw it in the air and shout, "brick in the air!!" Everyone would run for cover. A few people ended up with head wounds over the years.
We used to have ‘dart flight’ similar thing but with 3 darts and you had to have your eyes closed, anyone caught opening their eyes was the ‘bullseye‘ (has around ankles and receive incoming darts) only just realised that to catch some out the other person must have had their eyes open….

Another complete wanker here.

I loved climbing trees. Making rope swings out in the country. Underage drinking out in the country. Making fires and climbing all over shit. Playing football. I was fitba’ mad back then. I had an Anstrad computer too and loved playing games on that. Radio control cars. Wanted a plane or a boat but no dice. I loved buggering off fishing. No artistry in it - just lure the buggers with bread, maggots or worms. Nae float either. Just plain light line and the bait or a weight - legering. Get them oot, whack them on the heid if they were big enough for eating then take them home. Faither showed me how to gut’em and I took it from there. Free food and the thrill of the catch. Too wee they went back. Football, did I mention football? Bike rides to places too far away for official ‘permission’ to be granted. Sometimes with a football, sometimes with a fishing rod, sometimes with pockets full of sweets Aye, good times. What the feck happened….?
Sorry chaps, I seem to have melded childhood and teenage years together. I wasn’t very grown up and probably still am not.

Back
Top Bottom