Tech

The theory is that the later Techs with the long oval slots dampen blade chatter better than the earlier triangular slot models. Not all subscribe to the theory however, but I happen to be one who does. It is ever so subtle and usually only the seasoned Tech aficionado can detect it, but I think the oval slot models impart a smoother shave.

Wouldn't that be a light handled Tech???

I'd not read that term before but I will use it from now on!

The theory is that the later Techs with the long oval slots dampen blade chatter better than the earlier triangular slot models. Not all subscribe to the theory however, but I happen to be one who does. It is ever so subtle and usually only the seasoned Tech aficionado can detect it, but I think the oval slot models impart a smoother shave.

I've been dabbling with a few TTO's recently and the more I use them the more I appreciate my Techs!

There could be some basis in the theory above but I'm not sure I've been able to observe it. Even though I consider myself to be a seasoned Tech enthusiast I don't think I'm quite refined enough to notice the differences you describe! But, I find myself reaching more often than not for the oval slot models you mention. I've noticed these models seem to have the widest window for which blades they work with, be it a smooth blade like a Voskhod or a sharper one like a Nacet.

I have what looks like exactly the same combo bought in UK. (Never tried to shave with it.) The handle on mine is not aluminium; it's too heavy for that. I always thought the 40's Bakelite box didn't match the 50's razor, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe Gillette discovered a stash of old boxes they wanted to use up!

Last edited:
I have what looks like exactly the same combo bought in UK. (Never tried to shave with it.) The handle on mine is not aluminium; it's too heavy for that. I always thought the 40's Bakelite box didn't match the 50's razor, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe Gillette discovered a stash of old boxes they wanted to use up!

It seems Gillette just cobbled bits together, I'm happy with the purchase, it should be with me in the next day or so, looking forward to trying it

Would not surprise me in the least, they would use up old stock, especially on the Tech, since it didn't really have a standard configuration. They had wartime stock to clear out.

My favourite Tech is the R89...:LOL:

dE4X73p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom