Tech

Can anybody please tell me the date of manufacture of this Tech.

Any info on how it compares to other Techs in terms of aggressiveness or efficiency.

Attachments

• 1000012426.jpg
    1000012426.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1000012425.jpg
    1000012425.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 1000012424.jpg
    1000012424.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
No idea to the date, the UK ones do not have a date on them but I think it's most likely to be between 1945 and 1950?

I call my one a Fat Handle Tech with a diamond baseplate (not a Flat Bottom).

In terms of efficiency, it's a touch more efficient than the Flat Bottom Tech and a touch less than the later Ball End Tech with the same baseplate (of the ones I own, but there are minor differences across them all).

My one like the one above, is one of my most used razors. I think this is one of Gillettes finest razors. I liked my original one so much, I bought a spare!

No idea to the date, the UK ones do not have a date on them but I think it's most likely to be between 1945 and 1950?

I call my one a Fat Handle Tech with a diamond baseplate (not a Flat Bottom).

In terms of efficiency, it's a touch more efficient than the Flat Bottom Tech and a touch less than the later Ball End Tech with the same baseplate (of the ones I own, but there are minor differences across them all).

My one like the one above, is one of my most used razors. I think this is one of Gillettes finest razors. I liked my original one so much, I bought a spare!
Thank you for the info, I have not received it yet, it was advertised a a thin or slim handle.

I started with a Tech and it looks as though I have come back to them, looking forward to using one again.

I think I need to look for a spare too

Thanks, I had a few in the past, didn't at the time appreciate how good they are.

I think I have about 40-50 razors, I think about a third of them are all Techs. I've got more expensive and highly desirable razors but always find my way back to my Techs. They clamp the blade better than most other razors I have come across, and also seem to be less blade dependent than some other razors.

I hope you enjoy your return to using your Techs. If you need some more Tech recommendations, I'm always happy to share my observations.

I think I have about 40-50 razors, I think about a third of them are all Techs. I've got more expensive and highly desirable razors but always find my way back to my Techs. They clamp the blade better than most other razors I have come across, and also seem to be less blade dependent than some other razors.

I hope you enjoy your return to using your Techs. If you need some more Tech recommendations, I'm always happy to share my observations.
That's very kind of you.

What would your recommendation be for another Tech be, nothing rare and a budget of say £50 max.

That's very kind of you.

What would your recommendation be for another Tech be, nothing rare and a budget of say £50 max.

Do you use Ebay by chance? There's a seller there who has some good things for not a huge amount, I bought my spare Fat Handle and Ball End Tech's for about £15 a piece (no boxes). IMO, you could all the others for about £50 if you look out for them.

Other Techs I would recommend for not a huge amount include

Flat Bottom Tech
All brass Ball End Tech
Aluminium handle Ball End Tech (brass top cap, aluminium baseplate)

There are slight differences between them but they all great in the shave.

The aluminium one BET seems to be a bit of an odd one, it's clearly not rated by many as much as I like mine, but it's a touch more efficient in the shave and I find it quite fun to use. They are the cheapest of the others too, often sold for about a tenner.

The seller I linked above, has an all brass BET boxed for £20 (plus postage). I know @Bogeyman is a fan of his Made in England all brass BET like myself.

Btw, this is the Flat Bottom Tech

1940s%20Tech%20Set%20Argentina.jpg

Do you use Ebay by chance? There's a seller there who has some good things for not a huge amount, I bought my spare Fat Handle and Ball End Tech's for about £15 a piece (no boxes). IMO, you could all the others for about £50 if you look out for them.

Flat Bottom Tech
All brass Ball End Tech

The aluminium one BET seems to be a bit of an odd one, it's clearly not rated by many as much as I like mine, but it's a touch more efficient in the shave and I find it quite fun to use. They are the cheapest of the others too, often sold for about a tenner.

The seller I linked above, has an all brass BET boxed for £20 (plus postage). I know @Bogeyman is a fan of his Made in England all brass BET like myself.

Fantastic advice, a Flat Bottom Tech with a Fat handle I think.

Usually referred to as a '50's Tech, and the slim handle was a Brit only item. Many feel that it's the best shaver of the bunch but I prefer the "pre-war" triangle slot Techs that were made everywhere except England. The Brit pre-war is the flat bottom.

Flat Bottom Tech
All brass Ball End Tech

What the hell is a BET???

Usually referred to as a '50's Tech, and the slim handle was a Brit only item. Many feel that it's the best shaver of the bunch but I prefer the "pre-war" triangle slot Techs that were made everywhere except England. The Brit pre-war is the flat bottom.
That's good to hear, so many to choose from

What the hell is a BET???

Ball End Tech.

The Pre War triangle slot Tech is quite thin on the ground in the UK, I finally got hold of one not too long ago. Mine (compared to my other Techs) is actually quite efficient in the shave!

Back
Top Bottom