Taxidermist Suggestions Please

Hiya,

When I usta work as a salesman I'd stop by a company twice a year which was owned by a German guy with a nice office. It's where I saw my first Wolperdingers, ones he'd brought back from Germany over time. Yes, it was quite the eclectic collection and it said something about his sense of humor to have em displayed. Made in Bavaria mostly I believe.

I'll include a few pics and there's plenty more online. Maybe show em to whatever taxidermist you decide on as some possible ideas.

Martin

Attachments

• wolpertinger-salzburg.jpg
    wolpertinger-salzburg.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
  • wolpertinger-zurich.jpg
    wolpertinger-zurich.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 18
Not a sentence I expected to read here.

Good luck with your quest to find a taxidermist.
Thanks, I think I’ve found a guy in Bolton, seems to certainly know their stuff!

I do a lot of conservation work in my spare time, part of which is deer management and removal of non-native ‘alien’(non indigenous) destructive species, a bi product of which is lots of delicious venison to feed myself, family friends and so on. It just so happens That Monday’s harvest was a superb specimen and so to do it fully justice as well as preparing and sharing with neighbours the skull will be prepared as a momentous.

Appreciate this is very ‘non shaving’.. although perhaps the fur could make a decent ‘knot’ and they are legal species unlike Badger in this country ..

I do a lot of conservation work in my spare time, part of which is deer management and removal of non-native ‘alien’(non indigenous) destructive species, a bi product of which is lots of delicious venison to feed myself, family friends and so on.
Fair play. I have a friend who does exactly the same, and I was fortunate to be given a haunch of Chinese Water Deer on Boxing day. Good luck with the taxidermy, that has to be a pretty niche thing these days.

Chinese Water deer is delicious if it’s been grazing on cereals, if it’s mostly been in a fenland environment, (even more so if brackish) then it can develop a less appetizing aroma which reduces when cooked but benefits from herbs and spices. I’d ask you friend where it was harvested from before deciding how to make use of it if you haven’t already .

I find this thread more than a bit disturbing. I an an animal lover, but I much prefer them when they are still alive. The thought of being in a place surrounded by dead things would horrify me and probably give me nightmares.

Sorry that I can't contribute anything helpful, but I am merely sharing my opinion. That is all. I just find this thread to be in very bad taste.

I find responses from ill informed ‘pro animal’ bigots in appalling taste when on an open forum, but I don’t feel the need to comment (usually). Perhaps your response is a product of your veganism? Just my opinion.

I find this thread more than a bit disturbing. I an an animal lover, but I much prefer them when they are still alive. The thought of being in a place surrounded by dead things would horrify me and probably give me nightmares.

Sorry that I can't contribute anything helpful, but I am merely sharing my opinion. That is all. I just find this thread to be in very bad taste.
To support a vegan lifestyle, every critter on the land is eradicated, monoculture crops planted that support no animals, it's the absolute height of hypocrisy.

I know that isn't helpful, but I am also merely sharing my opinion.

Hi Guys

Im looking for a recommendation of a taxidermy expert, based in UK

More in hope than expectation …

R
There was, perhaps still is, one in North London, called, ironically, "Get Stuffed". They used to preserve deceased pets, and as I recall, a lot of their work was in restoring very ancient taxidermy examples. They also used to hire out taxidermy items for film props and so forth. This was at least 30 years ago, and I should think that they scrupulously avoid doing anything with, for example, "game" animals killed more recently, however legitimately.

Like it or not, there are several British artists who produce works of taxidermy, which are often "road kill". The other one who's made a ton of money out of something similar is, of course, Damien Hirst. Dolly the Sheep, of cloning science fame, is to be found in a Scottish museum.

Edit:-"Get Stuffed" are apparently still in operation. Their section "Taxidermy Services" lays out concisely what they will and won't do.

"Get Stuffed"

Last edited:

Just for your information so you have a better understanding of wildlife management I will tell you this, it is for the benefit of the majority of the remaining deer and the habitat they live in and feed on that older, sick or non native deer must be culled, the numbers have to be kept down to a level so the land isn't overgrazed because when this happens the whole heard would suffer terribly.
Land management is very important and like it or not some deer have to be culled every year for the benefit of the heard and the land they live on.
You can rest assured that the one's that must be culled are killed instantly by marksman, it doesn't suffer, one moment it's grazing the next it's dead.
If you care about wildlife you should be able to understand that this must be done, for the benefit of the rest.

Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom