Taste of my own medicine.

I am going to have my wisdom teeth out next week, under GA with an overnight stay in hospital. :(
I have stopped smoking and am sucking on a stupid inhalator that bears too much resemblance to a tampax Compac for my liking. I really should pack in the booze too. To top it all off i am actually growing more nrevous by the day, too much knoledge is a bad thing. That and they are very complicated with major nerve involvement, more than slight risk of permanent facial numbness.

On the up side i have the best part of the week off and got a colegue to sort me a Px for some decent pain relief so will be convalessing on TSR :mrgreen: Not sure how long I will be unable to shave for, 2 days me thinks!

C

i went in to get 4 wisdom teeth removed when i was 15 or 16
they only got 2 out
the other pair were impacted so hard they wouldn't budge

i watched a program on telly months later and found out they dislocate your jaw to get easier access :shock:

so you'll look like a gerbil for longer than you think, your teeth won't meet due to the swelling so non-liquid food is out and you'll have a strange bruise on your chest from the surgeons knee :eek:

all in a days work for the surgical team though

Thanks for the support hando!

Unfortunatly being a dentist myself, and having spent a good few weeks in theatre i know full well what is involved. i also have the CT scans of them on my laptop and have had a good play, they (the teeth) are absolute pigs. I have called in a favour with an excelent maxilofacial trauma consultant, he was reluctant to touch them, and he fixes up peeps who come in on the air abulance. :roll:

C

hando said:
so you'll look like a gerbil for longer than you think, your teeth won't meet due to the swelling so non-liquid food is out and you'll have a strange bruise on your chest from the surgeons knee :eek:

Reminds me of having my canine out (for cosmetic reasons) - using Twilight Sleep - two dentists, one had me in a headlock whilst the other was hanging on my tooth with his knee at my throat - then there was this slow-motion tearing calico as the tooth was pulled loose - I remember all this - but it was like watching on TV from inside the drugs at the time :lol:

"ye canny teach yer granny tae suck eggs"

was never more apt :cool:

what made that experience all those years ago worse was the GA
i thought i was dying
i've had 2 since and they were great
so
ask for the milky liquid in 'the hammer'
the other stuff sucks

SWMBO is a dentist, and she says that lots of people are convinced that their dentist put their leg/knee on their chest/throat to aid the removal of a tooth. She says that this technique would not actually help in any way as the action is more of a twist than a pull. The method is to stand behind the patient, not in front. Perhaps it's the gas that gives hallucinations!

Also, dislocation of a jaw is not a planned part of the wisdom-tooth extraction procedure, but does sometimes happen when removing a lower tooth, particularly under GA.

:ugeek:

hunnymonster said:
Perhaps now with modern dentists such as Mrs PC that is the case - definitely done from in front for me (admittedly it was 20 years ago and the dentist in question was approaching retirement then)

Sounds like a twat!

hunnymonster said:
He was a really nice bloke - and thanks to his intervention I have 31 straight teeth in my face - if that one had been left in, I'd have had a wolf-like fang :shock:

I retract (extract?) my previous statement! :mrgreen:

That milky liquid in the huge syringe is Propofol, great stuff. The inhaled anaesthetic now is most commonly Sevoflurane which is much smoother than Halothane which was the mainstay for a while, made you feel shit after. :ugeek:

Mrs PC is correct, kneen on chest is a hinderance rather than a help but I have always wanted to do it just to see what the patients reaction would be :shock: :mrgreen:

C

A little update, I am still alive.

Everything went great, anaesthetic was superb and very smooth, I was discussing the Jacko thing with the anesthtist while she was injecting me with exactly the same thing!

My face is really swolen but luckily no nerve damage, plenty pain though. The surgeon said they were the top 5 hardest teeth he has ever done, took one and half hours as he took his time not to damage my nerves, had to drill a lot of bone away from my jaw.

Worst bit is I really want a shave but that is not going to be possible for a few days yet.

C

Back
Top Bottom