Tallow soap minus pigfat.

You could always call up a Trumper's or T&H shop/salon and ask one of their more experienced barbers for advice. I'm sure they must shave non-bearded Muslims regularly.

Tallow is fat from beef.. rendered and purified before using in soap.. pig fat.. or Lard.. doesn't make the best shaving soap.. and lanolin which is oil from a sheeps wool is also a lovely thing. Tallow soaps go back hundreds of years.. tallow being once ( and still ) a cheap renewable resource.. that actually gives a spectacular lather in soaps that are used for shaving. Any of the oldies and goodies will list sodium tallowate as the first ingredient. Tallow soaps should NOT be expensive.. the main ingredient is the cheapest... it is a beef industry by product and is readily available.. and I am glad it is used and in many cases revered by wet shavers in their soaps.

Once all that was available to make soap was fat.. usually tallow.. and lye.. usually from wood ashes.. these methods have been refined over the years.. and there are now many vegan soaps out there.. the thing is tallow gives a lather that makes for a beautiful shave.

My soaps are all vegan.. so take it all with a big grain of salt. ;-)

Bear Hugs,

Mama Bear,
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mamabearssoaps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.mamabearssoaps.com</a><!-- w -->

So tallow proper is made exclusively from beeves?
I thought that tallow just meant animal-fat in general.
Thank you for the enlightenment - I don't mind parading my ignorance as long as I learn something.

And welcome aboard, Sue - nice to see you.

Mama Bear said:
My soaps are all vegan.. so take it all with a big grain of salt. ;-)

Which means, plants were killed for it... ;-)

BTW, although in soapers and shavers colloquial tallow is usually used to denote bovine rendered suet (beef fat), technically, tallow is animal fat. Practically, it is used for fat from cows, sheep, and deer, but there is no reason why someone may not use it to denote pork fat.

In food, there are more 'specific' terms, like lard and dripping.

Not even the iNCI list defines tallow unambiguously as bovine fat. The INCI list (as included in the EU cosmetics directive) defines the ingredient ADEPS BOVIS as: tallow. An animal fat. Contains primarily glycerides of C16- 18 fatty acids; and ADEPS SUILLUS as: Lard. The purified internal fat of the hog. It consists primarily of stearin, palmitin and olein.

So lard is not tallow (in cosmetics ingredients that is) and is derived from pork (which the SUILLUS implies of course), and tallow is supposed to come from cows (hence the BOVIS), but the definition does NOT explicitly state this...

So what do we know, as far as interpretation of ingredients lists goes: If there is pig fat in a product, that should be clear from the label. Lard glycerides are also mentioned in the INCI list, but NOT fatty acid salts from lard oils. I don't know whether that means that lard is not used to make soaps (it clearly IS used for other purposes in cosmetics) or that lard soaps are listed under other entries...

So even the INCI list does not explicitly define what is meant by tallowate on a label. We probably need to ask a few commercial oil (triglyceride) chemists what the industry's policy is on this...

FDA and EU regulations are not entirely clear either, but wordings appear to exclude pig fat from the definition of tallow.

Henk

Hi Sirprize,

Arko is definately a tallow soap with no pigfat and also 'Helal' (Good) as it is a product of Turkey so the tallow used is from cows slaughtered in accordance with Islam, this soap is the primary soap used accross the middle east by Barbers.

I have also attached the link below to help answer your brush question, as pretty much all of the brushes used by Barbers across Turkey and the middle east are boar hair.

hope this helps.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.islamicinstitute.ca/answers.php?id=611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.islamicinstitute.ca/answers.php?id=611</a><!-- m -->

Welcome Sue! We're a bit of a different crowd from B&B but I do hope you like it here. I am a fan of your soaps, but they aren't that easy to obtain in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom