Tag Heuer help

Looking to buy my first Tag and was hoping I could get some advice from the fine members of TSR, who have owned/own one before.

The watch I'm looking at is something like this, from the Carerra range:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...xQKHbkTA0UQgTYIhgQwCg&ei=QW9iV4TKJ8r_UrmnjKgE

Any reason not to go for a material strap or this range over other Tags? Getting it for around £750 brand new.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It is from Fraser Hart, they have an in store sale reduced from around £1,200 (a bit of haggling after buying a few jewellery items too)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I do not own a Tag Heuer (I wear TH spectacles though), but according to the stories I've read a few years ago about design flaws (crown of the Aquaracer 500M model) and poor customer service, I would not buy a TH watch (I'm more an Omega guy anyway).

However, if it is supposed to be a present with a sentimental value, I would look for a watch with a caseback that could be engraved, in order to really personnalize your gift.

I have a Tag (2000 model) with a link bracelet strap, if I was buying another now I'd go for a leather strap. It's all down to your own personal taste and aesthetics , either way they are all good quality

I have one, a Carrera CV2A10. Bought around 3 years ago. Spends much of its time in the watch box these days though as I find it too big and chunky.

IMO, I would get the bracelet, they make nice stylish bands.

Something to bear in mind. A service on a automatic, chronograph movement will set you back north of £200 by a decent watchmaker. Tag will charge you much, much more.

Here's mine
31c6e86f1c2ee6ca9c473d6981568fba.jpg

First of all I think we need to understand that this is a wedding gift, and for that reason alone it may not be so easy to come and say "...oh perhaps you should try this or that..."

I suspect that Avnish is also more-or-less focused on that particular style and brand of watch, which is fine of course.

When you talk to or observe watch aficionados, the contemporary mass-produced TAG Heuer and Carrera models are (nine out of ten of them) out of the interest of a watch fanatic. As another member wrote earlier, almost any modern TAG/Carrera will lose quite a bit of its value an hour later after the purchase.

But sometimes, when we get to talk about watches, we forget the most basic things. Avnish may own a prestige collection of shaving brushes, razors, soaps but till the time his kids will go to college and he get to be a pensioner he may have owned a couple of watches at most.

So for a watch fanatic a TAG Carrera that costs £750 may not necessarily be the single best option at that price level at the moment, but for some other guy this is a watch that will be used hard, lived long with and cherished for years.

From a watch fanatic's perspective I would most likely not buy such a piece. On this particular movement I do not have much info but quickly looking at it it seems as a slightly modified ETA Valjoux 7750, a very long-standing, solid (albeit chunky) and reliable watch mechanism. The bad thing with watches that carry this movement is usually the thickness of the case (abt 13-14mm as a minimum) which can make the whole set not so easy to be worn under cuffs.

A watch fanatic would, at this price point, choose perhaps an Oris, a pre-loved Tudor, a Longines, to name a few. But again, it's horses for courses, and there is not real reason why a TAG would be inferior to (say) an Oris in the long run.

I have been told by one of my dealers in Singapore that the 'standard' line of Carrera models (i.e. with minimum complications - time and date) are not very strong or durable as compared to a Tudor, for example. Another quality brand that I have had the pleasure of ownership in one of its models is Baume & Mercier (I had the model Classima Executive).

Regarding service costs, any independent watchmaker with the minimum of self-respect would be able to service a chrono Valjoux 7750 movement. The cost would be at most roughly in the vicinity £200 as another member suggested earlier. For this type of watches, the movements of which are 95% ETA-based or slightly modified ETA variants, I would not suggest taking the watch to the official dealer, when outside the guarantee period.

Last thing - straps. A good, carefully chosen strap can completely transform a watch. With straps, as with many other things, you get what you pay for. A good strap will last you 5 years, wearing all year long. It will be made of crocodile or alligator leather and will have the necessary thickness. It should match the dial of the watch colour-wise nicely. It will have a nice matching pin or deployant buckle.

There are custom makers of watch straps, I can recommend a few, prices range from $90 shipped to $250. But it is important that the person who wants to change the look of a watch by selecting the right strap knows what he's looking for in terms of texture (i.e. type of leather), thickness, width at lugs and at the pin/deployant buckle, etc.

If any more help is needed, I'd be glad to contribute again, Avnish.

Back
Top Bottom