Tabac Scent?

One thing I have always wanted to ask, what does Tabac smell like to you?

I picked some up a few years ago when I lived in Germany and I would describe it as having a subdued floral scent (could just be me!)

I have seen around that people describe it as having a tobacco hint which I just don't pick up.

Just wondering what you peeps would describe it as.

Whisp

I can understand where you are coming from wrt to the stale comment. When I first opened it I didn't like the scent but it has grown on me but still not my favourite!

Glad it smells the same to you and I'm not going daft!

Tobacco? That's the power of suggestion for you!
Davidoff's "Adventure" smells very much like fresh tobacco leaves as it happens.

I can't exactly remember what Tabac smells like now, a close relative used to use it in the mid 80's and it's not something I've considered since.. flowery sort of rings a bell.

antdad said:
There is certainly carnation and geranium, amongst others.

Hi Tony,

Ohhh, that sounds like a purty fragrance. I do like flowers. I actually tried Tabac soap about four years ago, but didn't pick up those particular notes.

I remember being excited to try the stuff because of all the good reviews, but found a problem right away. The soap smelled just amazingly bad. Damn stuff gave me the creeps. Yes, the scent was one that hit me exactly wrong.

Oh, I tried using the stuff twice, but it was too unpleasant to even finish the second shave with that on my face. I'm guessing you didn't have the same experience.

To my nose, Tabac reminds me of a melange of over ripe dead things. Oh, did you mean dead flowers by any chance? It may have a touch of dead or wilted geranium, now that I think of it.

Funny how our noses see things differently. Heh, that goes for you other goofy guys who like that scent.

Martin

dodgy said:
antdad said:

Funny how our noses see things differently. Heh, that goes for you other goofy guys who like that scent.

Martin

Yea, I picked it up after reading the rave reviews and it was local to me, a quick 5 min walk to the chemist.

Anyone tried Irisch Moos? Heard it's the same, good quality soap, with lack of smell.

Whisp

I think I remember that the dominant note is "oakmoss" but as I can only imagine that that smells of Tabac it's a circular argument.

Tony's right, though: there's a bitterness (cloves, geraniums and/or carnations) in there.

Edit: some info here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121551.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121551.html</a><!-- m -->

whisp said:
dodgy said:
antdad said:

Anyone tried Irisch Moos? Heard it's the same, good quality soap, with lack of smell.

Whisp

The Moos is a good soap with a medium strength scent that's not bad at all. Heh, I can't compare the performance to Tabac, since my mind won't let me relive those two shaves.

I don't use sticks and ended up cutting off a chunk and sticking it to the bottom of a bowl. Works pretty well.

I can send you out a piece to try if you like, even though you live really really far......heh. Use the pm feature if that interests you.

Martin

RB73 (Richard) describes my experience perfectly however I've owned a couple of Tabac soap bowls that I did not like for being over floral no matter how hydrated. The sticks seem to be able maintain their hydration levels (due to container) and therefore the musky/tabacco notes that I prefer come to the fore, mind you I have half a dozen unused sticks and they do vary.

The Moos is a good soap with a medium strength scent that's not bad at all. Heh, I can't compare the performance to Tabac, since my mind won't let me relive those two shaves.

I don't use sticks and ended up cutting off a chunk and sticking it to the bottom of a bowl. Works pretty well.

I can send you out a piece to try if you like, even though you live really really far......heh. Use the pm feature if that interests you.

Martin

Thanks for the offer but it would probably still be cheaper to buy a whole stick rather than pay for the postage from Chicago!

Plus I have too many soaps and creams atm!

What happened with your first two shaves? If you don't mind me asking?

whisp said:
What happened with your first two shaves? If you don't mind me asking?

No problem. I really wanted to give the Tabac a fair shot and was hoping the scent would become less horrific after using it a few times. Man, that's some creepy stuff....whew.

First shave I was so distracted I can't even tell you how good the Tabac performed. Don't even remember how good the post shave skin care was, which is strange.

The second and last time I got through maybe two passes before having to scrub the stuff off me.......heh. I didn't care how good the soap might be, since the shave experience could never be anything but a nasty one.

Heh, I hope that clears things up,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom