surely not

i can get away with shaving 2-3 times a week and used to do most of it at the gym after training, even better after being in the steam room

BiC disposable
soap stick of choice
old boar brush

not getting down as much these days, so i'm shaving more at home
which means more DE action

even though i've been wet shaving for years it's only been 2(ish) with a DE
so one thing i have no real experience with or good knowledge is blades

looking through my stash i find that i rated Iridiums & BiC as awful
Derby, Merkur, Laser, Feather, Gillette Platinum and Dorco as average
the only one that stood out for me so far is Bleue Extra
but don't take this as any kind of endorsment
it could be they just didn't match the razor etc etc

my point is :roll:
i could shave with the same BiC disposable from my gym bag for months compared to any DE blade
everything else being equal, passes, lather and such and with even mantic saying these types of razors (disposable) blades are manufactured to a lower spec

how come :?

An hour to an hour and a half sweating it out in the gym, followed by half an hour in the sauna has got to be pre shave prep par excellence. Those whiskers probably fell out at first sight of the razor.

Your blade preference and placement in how you rated them totally highlights how user specific this is, really surprised with the iridium being that low for you. What blades are your current choices?

Not too sure about the whole lower spec with regards to disposable razors. To produce and ship at the lowest possible price yes, to do that with a compromised end product no.

I don't know whether disposables are made to a lower spec or not but I think its clear that you just don't need something as sharp as an Iridium or Feather despite the great prep a sauna can give. No big deal you just don't.

Secondly if your jumping from something that weighs 5g (I'm guessing) to a proper D.E razor it's going to affect your technique with the later.
Despite your skills you will have to apply pressure with a disposable and that is going to affect how you use a proper D.E razor and why I suspect you rate the blades as you do.

I'd take your own advice mate...take the Feather portable to the gym keep using the same set up and enjoy shaving again....if you want I'll send you a few middle of the road but sharp enough blades like Personna's and Thin's.

What Tony said.

And/or . . . maybe a DE blade starts sharper but goes downhill faster; an disposable blade holds it's lower level of sharpness longer either because that's what less sharp blades do or because of metallurgical issues, including any coatings or treatments.

i'm currently trying the Gillette Platinums in a Fat Handled Tech which is more aggressive than the aluminium handled one i've got,
strangely enough the heads are very different

i'd like to try some Thins Tony thanks, sure i had some Personnas somewhere :?

hando said:
i'm currently trying the Gillette Platinums in a Fat Handled Tech which is more aggressive than the aluminium handled one i've got
strangeley enough the heads are very different

i'd like to try some Thins Tony thanks, sure i had some Personnas somewhere :?

I'm using a Fat Handle Tech at the moment having stella results using Gillette Nacet Plats. the FH Tech is more aggressive than normal Techs because of its different head design, I also have mine shimed up to cut the grey whiskers, the next blade in my Tech will be a Gillette Plat as I in the past have had great shaves with these, if you want to try Gillette yellows or greens give me a PM and I'll pop some in the post to you.

T

Arh, blades are cheap. For me it is not about how long a blade lasts but how close and comfortable (or combination thereof) I can shave.

If you get closer and more comfortable shaves with a disposable then either go with it and embrace it, or spend more time on your DE tchnique and live with changing blades more often.

Blade lifetime is no big deal with their low cost. I think that with cartridges people tend to use them for longer because they cost so much that they kind of get used to a dull blade.

Back
Top Bottom