Suede shoes

I'm toying with the idea of getting some suede desert or chukka boots. I'd go for decent quality; something along the lines of Church's, Cheaney or the like.

Never having owned a pair of suede boots before; I would like to know what they are like for durability and maintenance. I know Church's normally last last for years, but if they need much more maintenance than leather boots to keep in good condition, I'll give suede a miss. A weekly clean and polish is enough for me.

I wore suede boots in a couple of wars. The best thing to do is brush them any time they get wet, there are kits that have a special eraser for stains. Its usually found in military sales shops. If you care for them they look great even after a year of stepping in mud, running on rocks and kicking in doors!

I love suede shoes or boots, I have a nice pair of Italian chukka boots two eyelet lace ups, I would never advise wearing suede in the rain, you can also treat them with a can of spray on scotch guard against light water stains, always brush them when completely dry, then you can move them over a steaming kettle to help bring out the natural knapp or grain as some people like to call it.

Jamie.

Agree with the above 2 on cleaning. The care is quite different than with polished leather. I find that for winter use precare is a must.
[attachment=5737]
Good luck

[attachment=5738]
Left shoe!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091212.331035.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091212.331035.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091283.201843.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091283.201843.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 34
Spray them with a waterproofing/protector thing - most shoe shops sell the stuff - before use. Be careful with pale colours as this can darken. Not an issue if you are even when spraying.
After that, wear with impunity. If wet, let them dry and give them a quick brush with a suede brush.
Drroly, never polish suede ;)

I'm wearing a pair of suede shoes as I type this. These ones are just a pair of casual slip ons, But I also have a pair of loake suede Chelsea boots. They have held up very well and as long as you let them dry thoroughly after getting wet, and then brush them up, they look good as new. Certainly more resistant to scuffs and scrapes than highly polished leather.

I also have a pair of C&J nubuck chuka boots, and they have held up well too

If you want 'Desert' boots there really is only one choice you have to make and that is regards thes sole - an original desert boot sole is Crepe and they are still available at Loeke online.

I have a lovely pair of extremely comfortable handmade Italian Chukka boots owned them for a few years, I wouldn't dream of wearing them out in the rain, even though they have been scotch guarded, they also have crepe soles.

Jamie.

004.jpg

pugh-the-special-one said:
I have a lovely extremely comfortable handmade Italian Chukka boots owned them for a few years, I wouldn't dream of wearing them out in the rain, even though they have been scotch guarded, they also have crepe soles.

Jamie.

Jamie, I don't think that Desert Boots were originally designed to withstand rain.

Love them anyway - quality as always with you.

ishmael said:
I wore suede boots in a couple of wars. The best thing to do is brush them any time they get wet, there are kits that have a special eraser for stains. Its usually found in military sales shops. If you care for them they look great even after a year of stepping in mud, running on rocks and kicking in doors!

Go get em tiger :icon_biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 9
I've worn suede boots of one type or another most of my life - with or without the Parka:icon_razz:

IMO they will require more looking after than shiney leather, also they're not brilliant in the rain. However, they look great with a pair of Levi's.

Back
Top Bottom