Storage- old question, definitive answer (?)

Does it matter which way up you store a badger or boar brush?

• Yes - Bristles up, resting on its handle is best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Hanging in a stand, bristles down is best

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No - it really makes no difference, stop overthinking things!

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
All other things being equal (same brush, same environment, same usage) does it matter, and if so which way is best?

To my mind, hanging bristles down makes sense for drying but bristles up seems to fan the knot out more nicely....

Over to you....

Nobody can reach consensus on this, seemingly. I started off hanging them but now I squeeze, then flick out the excess water and fluff up the tips gently on a towel, then stand the brush on its flat handle near the window.

The argument seems to be that the amount of residual water is not enough to form a drop and therefore it'll dry just as well if not better by capillary action and evaporation, even if some moisture goes into the breech initially.

I don't claim that this is the definitive answer though, but seems to work for me.

Nobody can reach consensus on this, seemingly. I started off hanging them but now I squeeze, then flick out the excess water and fluff up the tips gently on a towel, then stand the brush on its flat handle near the window.

The argument seems to be that the amount of residual water is not enough to form a drop and therefore it'll dry just as well if not better by capillary action and evaporation, even if some moisture goes into the breech initially.

I don't claim that this is the definitive answer though, but seems to work for me.
I have heard similar thing, the main reason to hang the brush upside down is if you wash it under water and then you let it drip down (like my father use to do). Obviously no one does it like this anymore. I personally squeeze it, whip out all excess water in the shower with few strong strokes, then tap dry with a clean towel, brushing out any left water (and most of stearic acid/residual soap) . I am then left with a lightly humid brush which at this stage is safe to keep both upright or upside down.

it matters to me.
Bristles down.
In general it probably doesn’t matter but iv now acquired over 80 brushes & i want to make sure it’s totally dry before i put it away as i might not use it again for many months.

Another thing i like to do every 6 months or so is wash my brushes i with shampoo & give them a good comb.

i know they don’t all need this treatment but some second hand brushes from ebay are full of gunk so i basically treat every brush the same.
Again probably not needed but it makes me feel better lol

it matters to me.
Bristles down.
In general it probably doesn’t matter but iv now acquired over 80 brushes & i want to make sure it’s totally dry before i put it away as i might not use it again for many months.

Another thing i like to do every 6 months or so is wash my brushes i with shampoo & give them a good comb.

i know they don’t all need this treatment but some second hand brushes from ebay are full of gunk so i basically treat every brush the same.
Again probably not needed but it makes me feel better lol

I like to shampoo mine every so often..

Back
Top Bottom