STERLING....

I have samples of Stirling Island man, mountain man, ozark mountain and autum glory , I've used the Island man and it was soft enough for me to stick my finger in a pull out enough to shave with and I've just stuck my finger in the others and my finger went in with ease now I tried the same with my OSP and could not scoop any out. So when I said soft I was comparing it to my OSP, it's true there are softer soaps out there but I can not see how the ones I have got as being hard.

Paul, I don't have Island Man but I don't think I could put my finger through Mountain Man or Ozark. Maybe in the sample size this is possible. Stirling soaps I've used are not as hard as Tabac for example but definitely harder than proraso or cella.

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage with hard soaps? Maybe I'm missing out on something :) DR Harris Arlington is a hard soap and I love it...... it's harder than Stirling soaps.

Paul, I don't have Island Man but I don't think I could put my finger through Mountain Man or Ozark. Maybe in the sample size this is possible. Stirling soaps I've used are not as hard as Tabac for example but definitely harder than proraso or cella.

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage with hard soaps? Maybe I'm missing out on something :) DR Harris Arlington is a hard soap and I love it...... it's harder than Stirling soaps.
Yes you could be correct re the sample pots, as for harder soaps over softer soaps , I find that they last longer in use and could well last longer before any signs of deterioration , I have a puck of Old Spice that must be 50 years old and although it's lost most of its fragrance it is still performing as it did when new. It's a matter of personal preference but I like a hard soap, the harder the better for me.
Just my opinion though! :) If they have tallow in them all the better, although I have found some non tallow soaps can be very good, I have a few.

Last edited:
I have samples of Stirling Island man, mountain man, ozark mountain and autum glory , I've used the Island man and it was soft enough for me to stick my finger in a pull out enough to shave with and I've just stuck my finger in the others and my finger went in with ease now I tried the same with my OSP and could not scoop any out. So when I said soft I was comparing it to my OSP, it's true there are softer soaps out there but I can not see how the ones I have got as being hard.

Out of interest, what did you think of the scent of autumn glory? I've got Gatlinburg which i think is amazing, and the description of autumn glory on the stirling website sounds like it might follow the same sort of theme.
It's been interesting reading this thread - it has mirrored my recent experience - longtime user and fan of osp soap, tried Stirling about a 2 months ago and totally sold on it. Another must have soap!

Out of interest, what did you think of the scent of autumn glory? I've got Gatlinburg which i think is amazing, and the description of autumn glory on the stirling website sounds like it might follow the same sort of theme.
It's been interesting reading this thread - it has mirrored my recent experience - longtime user and fan of osp soap, tried Stirling about a 2 months ago and totally sold on it. Another must have soap!
To be honest I have not tried my sample yet but smells great in the small container it's in, I will try in the next few days and let you know what I think. :)

Remember also that Sterling is now on their "Gen. 5" I believe. Their soaps are "evolving" thru experimentation & customer feedback. A friend had some of his earliest formulation as well as some of the latest and he said it's far harder and lathers better as well.

The thing I like about their soap is that not only is the quality top shelf, but the scents are bold & tasteful. Like Barrister & Mann, they are not afraid to "stand & deliver" with something different. ;)

Their soap formulation has not changed since 2013, except in 2015 they dropped clay from all of them. They chose and stuck with one supplier for all of their various products, in order to have more consistency in their product.

I have used their soap for probably 80-90% of my shaves since sometime in 2014. With the exception of some of the old clay soaps (I still have two left....) I can't really tell any difference. Loading out of the big tubs makes them a hell of a lot better to use than the three inch pucks tho, I will say that.

Back
Top Bottom