Sputnik Blades

I've just ordered 100 of these from Gemstoneshaving on Ebay for £8.99 + £1.09 postage.
I've ordered from this chap before and his prices and service are excellent.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-25-50-100-Sputnik-Teflon-coated-DE-razor-blades-UK-stock-/281463817334?pt=Shaving&var=&hash=item41888d0476

That's a good price as these have been pretty scarce the last few months unless you bought from Eastern Europe. I didn't have a great time with them the one time I tried but I've got some in the stash that I might revisit in the next few days as all these positive posts have piqued my interest. Better lather and better technique these days as well!

BRICKBIKER said:
I've just ordered 100 of these from Gemstoneshaving on Ebay for £8.99 + £1.09 postage.
I've ordered from this chap before and his prices and service are excellent.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-25-50-100-Sputnik-Teflon-coated-DE-razor-blades-UK-stock-/281463817334?pt=Shaving&var=&hash=item41888d0476

Thats who I got mine from, he's on the forum, PM'd me when he had them back in stock. UK as well.

Dug one out of the stash tonight in order to revisit a blade I'd previously not got on with. First time using it had been with an EJ89L and it was not good. Close shave but full of burn and irritation with a couple of little nicks thrown in for good measure.

Tonight I put it into a Fatboy, lathered up some MWF and went at it. I'd set the Fatboy at 5 given I could remember how bad the Sputnik had been for me previously and although there was no tugging or irritation it was an average shave - a blade I'd use in a pinch but I could never really forsee how that pinch would come about. 2nd pass turned the Fatboy upto 7 - Superb! WTG, XTG or ATG it just didn't matter. The blade sliced the hair cleanly, very close and extremely smooth. Now I know what all the praise in this thread is about!

I've a feeling though that this is just evidence that the shape, weight and heft of the Fatboy really works for me as opposed to the EJ or the Merkur23C I've got. Especially when I crank it up to the higher settings.

I liked all the Russian blades I have tried so far, so I ordered 100 of these from Gemstone shaving on ebay - lightning-fast delivery.

Had my first shave with one this morning, in a de89l with three shims. Very close, irritation-free shave straight from the packet and just as sharp as the other Russian offerings, but smoother on first use. It might have been my imagination, but the Sputnik blade felt thinner and more flexible than the Voskhod blade I swapped it with in the razor, don't know if that makes a difference.

Because I have quite a few blades, and many different types, I've started putting a few of my favourites that I have the largest amounts of in the bathroom in a cache away from the main stockpile in the bedroom.
Sputnik were an easy first choice. Polsilver Super Iridium, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 365 and Ri Mei Platinum are the rest.
In time, when there is room, I will add the Super Thins, Rapira Swedish Super Steel and Platinum Lux and maybe some vintage blades. Anyone else do this?

NotTheStig said:
Because I have quite a few blades, and many different types, I've started putting a few of my favourites that I have the largest amounts of in the bathroom in a cache away from the main stockpile in the bedroom.
Sputnik were an easy first choice. Polsilver Super Iridium, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 365 and Ri Mei Platinum are the rest.
In time, when there is room, I will add the Super Thins, Rapira Swedish Super Steel and Platinum Lux and maybe some vintage blades. Anyone else do this?
I have a shoe box full in the wardrobe main stash for sealed blades (1500 ish)
I have a plastic box open/loose blades all in order (loom bands are great for this, about 250 blades different brands)
Then I have a vintage nickel blade holder in bathroom with about 20 different blades in

The sad thing is if I saw a good deal on 100 decent blades I don't have id be all over like a rash

Back to sputniks, good but if you are intent on buying St Petersburg blades I'd stock up on rapira swedes

Back
Top Bottom