Soup or Cream?

As the debate rages forever on over whether soap or cream is the superior shaving lubricant, I think it's worth asking another more culinary-based question, so....

chicken-soup.jpg

or

005030.jpg

:hungrig

This is fascinating. Can't wait to see how this all develops. I promise not to let on my particular allegiance for a while. I wouldn't want to cloud the debate.

I'm a Yester Dairy man for my cream - or failing that Graham's of Falkirk or Clyde Organics.

All 3 of them market single cream that is actually more viscous than milk, double cream that requires a spoon to assist it out of the pots and extra-thick double cream that stays exactly where it's put.

That is not a soup PC that is thin gruel with a few carrot pieces and a bit of pasta? I've puked up more tempting fare.

As for long life cream...it has already been intimated, you'd have to be on your death bed to use long life.

Those were just pictures to represent the soup and the cream. I'll see if I can find some more appropriate ones for this section which now needs to be renamed Gourmet Food Talk!

Nothing wrong with that chicken soup, PC. I've grown up on that, bean broth (with hunks of pork), and similar hearty fayre. I still enjoy it at least twice a week, with nice slabs of bread. For me, the key ingredients are Vegeta (a staple in our home) and egg vermicelli. Beautiful.

To be honest I hadn't really looked at the soup picture properly and yes, it does appear to be a kind of Jewish chicken soup. There is one glaring omission however. Kneidlach. Delicious dumplings that no self-respecting chicken soup should be without. My Mum and both grandmothers make/made delicious ones, but the best were made by Granny, my Mum' mother. You can either go big or small with these yummy dumplings, and hers were big and very tasty! No innuendo there, she was a lovely old lady!! :hungrig

Oh dear, this post is actually starting to verge towards sensible... :oops:

Nik, what part of the world do your family come from?

PigCat, my family are Serbian (former Yugoslavia). Chicken soup with noodles/pasta is a favourite starter in most Serbian/Balkan households - some people like to add Knedle to it, which sounds pretty similar to your Kneidlach. However it's prepared, all will agree on one ingredient: Vegeta (yellow stock-seasoning that adds heaps of flavour). I'll PIF you a thermos if you're interested. :D

Naked Ape said:
PigCat, my family are Serbian (former Yugoslavia). Chicken soup with noodles/pasta is a favourite starter in most Serbian/Balkan households - some people like to add Knedle to it, which sounds pretty similar to your Kneidlach. However it's prepared, all will agree on one ingredient: Vegeta (yellow stock-seasoning that adds heaps of flavour). I'll PIF you a thermos if you're interested. :D

That sounds good. Have you still got my address? Even better will you send me some soup? We could do a soup swap - I'd love a snoop at your soup! Oh, and I found a nice picture...

Podravka_Vegeta.jpg

Back
Top Bottom